VP, Corporate Counsel - Tax at Prudential
Posted in Legal 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Newark, New Jersey
Prudential Financial is seeking a Vice President and Corporate Counsel to join the Tax Department located Newark, NJ with experience in the United States federal income taxation of corporations, partnerships and investments. The Tax Department is responsible for the overall tax affairs of Prudential Financial Inc. and its subsidiaries (Prudential) and has responsibility in planning, advising, managing tax legal risks on behalf of the Enterprise involving both company and product tax matters. The position requires a team player that is highly organized, responsive, and extremely flexible and has the ability to handle multiple projects while producing accurate and timely results.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Provide tax legal advice relative to the U.S. federal income tax consequences of investments, financing, and corporate reorganization and M&A transactions.
- Coordinate with in-house and outside counsel on structuring and perform transaction document review.
- Assist in IRS audit of transactions advised on and executed.
- Be proactive in raising the sensitivity of tax consequences associated with corporate tax transactions of Tax Department personnel and business partners.
- Developing and maintaining relationships with key business personnel to make sure that Tax is appropriately integrated in the business so that the Tax Department gets the necessary information from the businesses and communicates necessary information back to the business.
- Providing tax legal advice and interpretation of tax law for businesses.
- Tax planning
- Ensuring that tax implications are appropriately considered and reported in Company initiatives.
- Ensuring proper tax reporting (both GAAP and tax return) for the businesses.
- Product tax matters including risk assessments, investment product tax compliance, and fund design and compliance.
- Increasing the tax technical competency of tax associates involved in company tax matters.
- Monitoring emerging tax issues that could impact the company.
- Developing and maintaining industry and outside legal and accounting service provider relationships for purposes of keeping abreast of best practices, etc.
- Supporting legislative and regulatory activities
- Supporting CAP disclosures and other IRS audit activity
- Developing and making presentations to senior business personnel regarding tax results and risks/opportunities affecting the business.
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of U.S. corporate income tax experience a legal capacity preferably with a major law firm, Big 4 accounting firm, or the Tax Department of a major corporation, or public service.
- J.D. degree and licensed attorney in a state bar.
- LLM in taxation helpful
- CPA helpful
- Excellent judgment and the ability to make clear, rational and timely decisions in the best interests of Prudential consistent with available facts and applicable laws and regulations
- A strong work ethic combined with the ability to consistently maintain high service, quality, efficiency and ethical standards
- The ability to thrive in an environment where coordination and teamwork is a priority, and the ability to interact well with senior business executives
- Flexibility and a willingness to adapt to changing needs of the organization and/or business clients.
- Strong public speaking and written communication skills are required. Must be comfortable regularly interacting with and challenging senior management
- Looking for someone who is assertive, creative and proactive
Periodic travel to business units may be required
Overtime will be required, especially during peak periods
- Outside candidates are being considered
Position is based in Newark, NJ
Any applicant selected for this position will be required to submit to an extensive background screening and a credit check. Failure to comply will eliminate an applicant from consideration for this position. Any negative information obtained as a result of the background screening may result in the disqualification of the applicant from this and any other position in Prudential, including their current position if an internal applicant.