Product Design Engineer at API Technologies Inc.
Posted in Architecture 13 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Ann Arbor, Michigan
At API we innovate, design and deliver high reliability products every day to serve our customers. These products keep soldiers safe, allow satellites to communicate, save lives through medical technology, and more. With 1,700+ people working across 15 design/manufacturing centers in North America and Europe we strive to be a leading global partner of choice in our markets: Defense, Aerospace, Space, Medical, Oil & Gas, Telecom, and Secure Systems.
API Technologies is a different company today than it was in 2016. After years of acquisitions we recognized the need to transform and began integrating our business to leverage our collective capabilities. We hired a Chief Transformation Officer. We promoted people into roles where they could make a difference and eliminate waste. We implemented a continuous improvement (CI) program, hiring CI Managers, training every employee in 5Y, and running Kaizen events to tackle low hanging fruit: we still have some. The employees who embrace this culture have thrived. Together, we are building a stronger business.
If you are an employee who challenges the status quo, who makes an impact, and who would be driven to continuously improve by the people our products protect and serve globally; then apply at www.apitech.com/careers. We strive to put excellence in everything we do: including your career.
SUMMARY: Designs and develops new products and modifies and/or enhances existing products to meet customer specifications and internal cost and quality measures. We are looking for a BSEE degree with a few years of microwave electronics experience.
TOP OUTCOMES FOR POSITION IN YEAR 1:
- Assemble, tune, and test equalizers.
- Design equalizers with minimal assistance.
- Become the equalizer expert (might take longer than 1 year).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS: Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties.
• Designs and/or modifies product: reviews customer documentation and develops product requirements based on customer specifications. Works with process engineering and manufacturing to create new processes or solve existing process problems.
• Determines product structure and costs for new design: provides technical advice to purchasing regarding raw material specifications, possible sources, etc.; interacts with suppliers and dealers to obtain best quality materials at the most cost effective price.
• Documents production methods: maintains and updates existing documentation on products and enters new production information; composes and/or revises travel tickets, product structures, sales drawings and test plans.
• Plans and schedules projects: meets with customers, marketing/sales, and production to plan release of new product, or when significant changes in manufacturing technique have been implemented; attends engineering meetings to review new engineering projects and update existing work.
• Responsible for the on time completion of projects and quotes.
• Responsibility for multiple passive product lines including but not limited to RF/Microwave passive components and circuits such as attenuators, terminations, bias-tees, and gain equalizers.
• Model, design, simulate, assemble and test of prototypes performing data analysis (S-parameter, power handling, etc.) to ensure compliance with product specifications.
• Performs and/or assists with failure analysis and destructive analysis on products to assure quality.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This position has no formal supervisory responsibilities.
OTHER DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES: The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities and/or duties required; other duties may be assigned.
• Performs other design, process, or production related task as required by supervisor.
• Performs training and back up as requested by Supervisor.
MINIMUM REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Bachelor of Science degree in Electrical Engineering, Engineering Technology or equivalent experience AND,
• Minimum of 1 year experience in related industry OR,
• Equivalent combination of education and experience.
Certificates and Licenses: None required.
OTHER REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS:
• Ability to work with detail and accuracy; analyze problems quickly; sound employee relation skills; attention to detail and ability to keep focused on a number of concurrent projects; capability to work in teams. Skilled working with automated and semi-automated machinery and computers.
- Experienced in use of computer-aided microwave or electromagnetic design software such as ADS, AWR Microwave Office, HFSS, CST Microwave Studio or equivalent.
- Experienced in electrical testing, test equipment, and S-Parameter characterization.
- Experience with programming using Labview or HPVee is a plus.
- Experienced with CAD systems such as AutoCAD, SolidWorks or equivalent.
- Experience with modern manufacturing methods and electrical/ electronic assembly.
- Able to travel, as necessary.
- Proficiency in office software such as Word, Excel, and PowerPoint as required; ability to perform math calculations, measurements, analysis or reporting as directed.
- Familiarity with ISO & Lean manufacturing methodologies.
- This position requires the ability to acquire a Secret Level government security clearance.
• Masters Degree in Engineering
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• This is an office-based position with some work in a manufacturing setting