Litigation Counsel at Flatiron
Posted in Design 10 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Broomfield, ColoradoJob Description:
Location: Broomfield, CO USA
Duration: Full-time Regular
# of Openings: 1
Req #: 2299
Reporting to the Vice President of Legal, this in-house position provides legal advice and assistance on complex and routine legal matters, primarily related to large infrastructure projects and potential litigation involving the company, its subsidiaries or the company's affiliates that are managed by the company.
- Assessing liability, reviewing and drafting pleadings and motions, preparing witnesses, participating in depositions and hearings, participating in trials.
- This position works with outside counsel and opposing counsel on complex litigation matters, and is responsible for managing outside counsel including fees and budget.
- Reviews and researches applicable law and interpretations and applies judgment to particular situations.
- Responsible for mentoring legal support & for the assessment and management of employee performance including the completion of performance reviews and employee career and personal development.
- Handling litigation matters. Manage the significant litigation risk Flatiron faces. Responsibilities include (1) provide overall strategic and tactical direction of ongoing and threatened litigation matters; (2) oversight of outside counsel on pending litigations; (3) advising business, including senior leadership, on key developments, strategy, settlement and other key decisions, and (4) negotiating fee arrangements and managing cases to minimize litigation costs.
- Advise the business on a broad range of potential disputes (e.g. JV disputes, subcontractor disputes, contract terminations) and their resolution, as well as litigation aspects of various projects and frequently directly bring such matters to resolution without use of outside counsel.
- Review large project contract documents and identify and analyze legal risks related to these projects.
- Drafting project correspondence relating to legal issues, assisting and liaising with project teams with negotiations and correspondence.
- Negotiate and resolve pre-litigation claims assessed against the company in collaboration with the business and managing affirmative actions on behalf of the company.
- Maintain a database of all material litigation/claims matters in the company, reporting on the same on a regular basis to executive leadership and to parent company.
- Practice litigation prevention through dissemination of lessons learned, training, policy development and other measures.
- Assist in responding, on behalf of the company, to attorney letters and agency matters including charges and government-initiated inquiries and audits, subpoenas and garnishing orders.
- Develop, strengthen and sustain productive and collaborative working relationships with all levels of the organization to promote proactive use of in-house legal counsel.
- Communicates, models and continuously reinforces Flatiron culture and leadership practices with direct reports, including Flatiron Values, Safety, Ethics & Compliance programs, adhering to all Policies & Procedures and working professionally and collaboratively across Divisions and Departments.
- Ability to manage highly confidential information
- Willing to perform other responsibilities as assigned
- Ability to travel at least 25% of time to project sites across the US.
- Juris Doctorate required.
- 7+ years of relevant post-bar professional experience, required.
- Prior experience handling complex litigation strongly preferred.
- In-house corporate litigation experience preferred.
- Admitted to practice in the one or more states:
- Prior work experience within the heavy civil construction industry preferred.
- Desire and capacity to lead thinking and execution at a strategic as well as operational level.
- Excellent cross functional and interpersonal skills in order to develop team, evolve business processes and support needs of business. Able to work with all levels of the organization.
- Demonstrated (exceptional) capabilities in the following areas:
- Communication and Drafting skills - oral, written, presentation, ability to influence
- Analytical and problem solving
- Coaching and consulting with a proven track record in quickly gaining credibility and partnering collaboratively with business leaders
- Computer and software systems (Microsoft office family, etc)
- Strong track record of:
- Leading and participating in direct and indirect teams
- Leading change in order to better the company and department
- High integrity
- Results driven
- Learning orientation
- Continuous process improvement
- Prior experience successfully operating in a fast paced, fluid, "build-it" environment
- Superior writing skills are necessary
- Ability to travel as required
- Team player and self-starter.
Competencies and Abilities
- Supervisory - ability to closely monitor and direct experienced outside counsel and experienced outside claims managers, as well as in-house claims and consumer services personnel.
- Problem Solving - ability to develop complex litigation strategies and to find creative resolutions of disputes.
- Communications - ability to give clear direction to outside counsel, to brief the business on legal issues, and to ensure clarity of court papers filed by outside counsel.
- Leadership - ability to direct outside counsel, claims handlers and business people with respect to litigation matters. Ability to strategically influence business leaders.
- Team Commitment - ability to work cooperatively with business people and outside counsel and to approach litigation matters in a manner consistent with business strategies.
- Negotiation - experience in formal and informal dispute resolution included direct negotiations and mediation.
Some of the benefits you can expect as a Flatiron employee are:
- Comprehensive compensation package and paid time off program
- Industry leading 401(k)/RRSP
- Medical/Extended Health Care, Dental, Vison and/or Provincial Medical
- Wellness benefits & Employee Assistance Program
- Tuition Reimbursement Program
Flatiron is an EEO/AA/ADA/Veterans employer.