Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Menlo Park, California
Exponent is a leading engineering and scientific consulting firm. Our multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, physicians, and regulatory consultants brings together more than 90 different disciplines to solve complicated problems facing corporations, insurers, government entities, associations and individuals. Our more than 1000 staff members work in 26 offices across the United States and abroad. Exponent has over 800 consultants, including more than 500 that have earned a doctorate in their chosen field of specialization.
Exponent's Polymer Science & Materials Chemistry Practice is currently seeking an Scientist/Sr. Scientist to join our consulting staff in our Menlo Park, CA office. Candidates should have an advanced degree (Ph.D. or equivalent) with some related industrial experience for the Senior Scientist level hire. This position requires some travel and will involve collaboration with scientists and engineers from other Exponent offices. A long-term goal for a successful candidate will be to develop business by obtaining new projects and bringing new clients to the firm.
Responsibilities for this position include:
* Scientific analysis, testing and inspections to address polymer and material science matters related to the use of materials in applications from consumer products and electronics to pharmaceuticals and medical devices
* A significant portion of activities will include root cause analysis of a wide variety of polymer materials failures related to issues arising in development, manufacturing or use of products
* Activities will also include litigation technical report writing and analysis
* Assignments will require the ability to gather information from and convey technical conclusions to individuals in engineering, business, law and industry
Qualifications for this position include:
* Ph.D. (or equivalent) in Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry or Materials Science
* A strong theoretical and practical knowledge of polymer materials and characterization techniques. Polymer structure-function understanding and detailed knowledge of the characterization techniques needed to elucidate such properties.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Demonstration of written communication skills in addition to research publications are a plus.
* Superior problem-solving abilities
* Strong educational and publication credentials
* Strong teamwork and leadership skills
* For the Senior Scientist role the following experience is a plus:
* Practical testing and applications understanding in a manufacturing or R&D environment
* Polymer formulation, compounding, dispensing, and/or molding experience
* Typical polymer materials analysis: tensile and elongation, rheology, thermal analysis, etc.
To learn more about life at Exponent, check out our Graduate Students page at www.exponent.com/careers/grad-students!
We are an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity, Veterans and Disabled Employer. Back Email Apply Now