Orthopedic Technician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Needham, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital Needham (BID Needham) is a licensed 58 bed acute care hospital offering the same care as our direct affiliate Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center (BIDMC) in your community.
This close affiliation with BIDMC, since 2000, has facilitated the clinical integration of staff and resources in emergency medicine, hospital medicine (hospitalists), cardiology, radiology, orthopaedics, general surgery, pathology and oncology. Physicians in Needham maintain very close relationships with the staff at BIDMC; so in cases where patients need to be transferred from Needham to Boston for more advanced care, there are systems in place to make that transition happen quickly.
JOB LOCATION: Needham, MA
REQ ID: 24322BR
JOB SUMMARY: Responsible for fabricating, fitting, adjusting and removing mobilization and immobilization devices used in the treatment of a wide variety of neuro-musculoskeletal conditions. Reports to referring physicians for patient care issues and to the Director for administrative and programmatic issues.
* Applies, fits, adjusts and removes simple and moderately complex plaster and synthetic braces, casts, splints and assistive devices.
* Chooses appropriate casting materials considering patient's age, activity level, cognition and ability to perform skin care.
* Assists physicians in a wide range of sterile and non-sterile clinic and bedside procedures: removal of wires, pins, fixators, dressing or cast changes.
* Educates other providers both inter and intra departmentally about casting, splinting, traction techniques, and other aspects of orthopedic technology.
* Trains other providers to carry out or assist with specific procedures.
* High School diploma or GED required. Vocational or Technical training in Orthopedic Technology preferred.
* Certificate 1 Heartsaver Certificate (CPR) required.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Knowledge of the application and adjustment of simple and moderately complex plaster or fiberglass casts, splints and orthotic devices as generally acquired through at least 2 years of related job/technical experience.
* Knowledge of basic human anatomy and techniques to align fractured bones or position body parts for proper casting; fracture healing and complications; wound healing and complications; principles of aseptic techniques; principles of skin care as generally acquired with 2+ years of related experience.
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.