Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Needham, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: Beth Israel Deaconess HealthCare is a network of more than 100 highly-skilled primary care physicians and specialists who are affiliated with the renowned Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Needham, Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Milton and Beth Israel Deaconess Hospital-Plymouth. Our Central Office is located in Needham, MA.
JOB LOCATION: Needham, MA
REQ ID: 24144BR
JOB SUMMARY: The Community Health Worker will conduct culturally appropriate health education, care management, care coordination, and outreach in community based settings such as patient homes, schools, clinics, and community centers. The Community Health Worker will also assist patients with gaining access to the variety of social and medical services they need to maintain their health. The Community Health Worker will collaborate with their clinical team to promote health and wellness and contribute to the goals and objectives of a patient's care plan.
DEPARTMENT SPECIFIC JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Ensures translation services are provided in Spanish for Spanish speaking patients and employees when needed.
* The Community Health Worker is responsible for establishing trusting relationships with patients and their families, and will provide general support and encouragement.
* Provide ongoing follow-up, basic motivational interviewing and goal setting with patients/families. Help patients set personal goals, and attend appointments.
* Conduct intake interviews with patients, including enrolling patients into, and/or referring them to, various health, assistance, and social service programs.
* Follow-up with patients by phone, home visits and visits to other settings where patients can be found. Provide consistent communication to the BIDHC staff to evaluate patient/family status, ensuring that provided information, and reports clearly describe progress.
* Assist patients with completing applications and registration forms. Conduct eligibility determination, enrollment and follow-up with uninsured patients
* High School diploma or GED required.
* 1-3 years related work experience required.
* Ability to communicate and ensure translation services in Spanish for Spanish speaking patients and employees when needed.
* Ability to initiate and maintain positive working relationships with medical practice/practice staff and other organizations. Understand the community served - community connectedness.
* Ability and willingness to provide emotional support, encouragement and motivation to patients.
* Advanced skills with Microsoft applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access and other web-based applications. May produce complex documents, perform analysis and maintain databases.
* Successful completion of a Community Health Worker formal training program preferred.
* Experience working in a community-based setting for at least 1 to 2 years preferred.
* Knowledge of some medical terminology preferred.
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are varied, requiring analysis or interpretation of the situation using direct observation, knowledge and skills based on general precedents.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow precedents and procedures. May set priorities and organize work within general guidelines. Seeks assistance when confronted with difficult and/or unpredictable situations. Work progress is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Light work: Exerting up to 20 pounds of force frequently to move objects. Some elements of the job are sedentary, but the employee will be required to stand for periods of time or move through out the hospital campus