Surgical Technician at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
Posted in Other 16 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Needham, Massachusetts
DEPARTMENT DESCRIPTION: The Surgical Pavilion at BID Needham brings together exceptional surgical expertise in a patient-centered environment with the convenience of a community setting. Newly built operating room suites utilize the latest technologies, including specialized equipment for minimally invasive procedures, image-guided, and endoscopic procedures. New and enlarged preoperative rooms and Post Anesthesia Care Unit (PACU), located next to the operating rooms, improve service efficiency.
Our board-certified surgeons offer surgical expertise rarely found in a community setting. Trained at some of the nation s leading medical schools, many are Harvard Medical Faculty Physicians at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
JOB LOCATION: Needham, MA
REQ ID: 24376BR
JOB SUMMARY: Under the direction of the Clinical manager of Perioperative Services, the surgical technologist performs all responsibilities in a manner that demonstrates Service Excellence towards patients, physicians, peers and other departments. Maintains technical skills to serve a patient population comprised of infancy to geriatric clients. Prepares Operating Room with appropriate instrumentation, equipment and supplies necessary for patient care. Demonstrates and practices a good understanding of sterile technique.
* Prepares the OR room with appropriate instrument, sutures, supplies, and equipment necessary for each individual procedure as outlined in departmental policy manual. Refers to pre-printed preference cards when choosing supplies, etc. for each surgical case.
* Demonstrates competence in assisting the surgeon and the perioperative team during surgical procedures.
* Follows departmental policies and procedures, with regard to appropriately scrubbing, gowning, gloving, observing strict aseptic technique.
* Follows strict aseptic technique when opening sterile supplies and setting up procedures.
* Demonstrates competence with regard to the proper handling of surgical specimens and medications on the sterile field.
* Vocational or Technical training in Surgical Technology required.
* License Certified Surgical Technician required.
* 0-1 years related work experience required.
* Certified surgical technologist credential administered by a nationally recognized surgical technologist certifying body accredited by the National Commission for Certifying Agencies and recognized by the American College of Surgeons and the Association of Surgical Technologists
* Experience with computer systems required, including web based applications and some Microsoft Office applications which may include Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint or Access.
* Previous surgical technology experience
* Decision Making: Ability to make decisions that are guided by general instructions and practices requiring some interpretation. May make recommendations for solving problems of moderate complexity and importance.
* Problem Solving: Ability to address problems that are routine, somewhat repetitive and generally solved by following clear directions and procedures and by identifying opportunities for process improvements.
* Independence of Action: Ability to follow general instructions and procedures as provided. Work is monitored by supervisor/manager.
* WRITTEN COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to communicate clearly and effectively in written English with internal and external customers.
* ORAL COMMUNICATIONS: Ability to comprehend and converse in English to communicate effectively with medical center staff, patients, families and external customers.
* KNOWLEDGE: Ability to demonstrate full working knowledge of standard concepts, practices, procedures and policies with the ability to use them in varied situations.
* TEAM WORK: Ability to work collaboratively in small teams to improve the operations of immediate work group by offering ideas, identifying issues, and respecting team members.
* CUSTOMER SERVICE: Ability to provide a high level of customer service to patients, visitors, staff and external customers in a professional, service-oriented, respectful manner using skills in active listening and problem solving. Ability to remain calm in stressful situations.
AGE BASED COMPETENCIES:
Employees in this job must be competent to provide patient care to the following age groups: Neonatal:Birth to 6 months, Youth: 6 months to 16 years, Young adult: 16-30 years, Middle Age: 30 - 60 years, Elderly: 60 -.
PHYSICAL NATURE OF THE JOB:
Medium work: Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally and or up to 20 pounds of force frequently. Job is physical in nature and employee needs to stand and/or move around through the majority of their shift.