Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Springfield, Virginia
Constructs, builds, repairs, and inspects Hybrid Fiber Coax (HFC) networks to provide voice, video, and data to residential and commercial customers; Coordinates with other utilities for permits, joint trench, pole applications and service issues.
PRIMARY RESPONSIBILITIES AND ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
* FIBER TECHNICIAN I constructs new and rebuilds aerial hardware including strand placement, tensioning, grounding, bonding, guy and anchor installation. Assures grounds are at or below maximum allowable resistance for proper network protection. Responsible for maintaining proper spacing from energized conductors as well as height requirements as prescribed in the GO05, GO198, NESC, NEC, utility and Cox construction specifications.
* Repairs and maintains overhead and underground lines. Responds to and determines proper course of action in emergency call-in situations to repair damaged cable lines. Replaces or reroutes cables and splices electronic equipment.
* Participates in the construction and /or repair of fiber, coax, and copper plant for networks. May coordinate and inspect work done by contract labor.
* Performs routine work to locate and mark underground cable lines in order to perform digs and other construction work to minimize cable damages.
* Inspects for location of placement of facilities, work of contract labor, depth trenches and follows underground construction standards. Marks placement of cable plant.
* Coordinates contract labor for construction projects and inspects final work.
* Uses computerized tools and programs (Oracle) to coordinate bill of materials, purchase materials, maintain inventory levels, reconciles invoices, street release forms, zone changes, as well as computerized mapping systems.
* Ensures that work performed in a timely and professional manner and meets all regulations, specifications and standards set forth by the company and government agencies.
* May splice, repair, and activate fiber optic circuits and implement corrective and preventive action. May assist with the maintenance of fiber transport system, nodes and reverse laser transmitters and receivers.
* May enter data into computerized databases to track homes passed, maintain serviceability information, or node splits.
* May obtain construction permits, utility permits and pole applications including make-ready, right-of-way, railroad, road bore and crossing permits. Create and file traffics plans for construction projects.
* Under close supervision, exercises limited latitude/independent judgment; Work typically involves detailed checks or close review of output by a senior co-worker and/or supervisor/manager.
* HS diploma, GED or relevant work experience
* 1 or more year of experience preferred in related field (i.e. Technical Operations)
* Requires strong knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, SPSS, SAS, etc.
* Excellent soft skills such as: interpersonal, leadership, presentation, and collaborative skills to work effectively with teams throughout organization
* Experience in telecommunications industry desired.
About Cox Communications
Cox Communications is a broadband communications and entertainment company, providing advanced digital video, Internet, telephone and home security and automation services over its own nationwide IP network. Cox Business is a facilities-based provider of voice, video and data solutions for commercial customers, and Cox Media is a full-service provider of national and local cable spot and digital media advertising. Cox is known for its pioneering efforts in broadband, voice and commercial services, industry-leading customer care and its outstanding workplaces. More information about Cox Communications, a wholly owned subsidiary of Cox Enterprises, is available at www.cox.com and www.coxmedia.com.
Cox is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer - All qualified applicants/employees will receive consideration for employment without regard to that individual s age, race, color, religion or creed, national origin or ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, physical or mental disability, veteran status, genetic information, ethnicity, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
ORGANIZATION: Cox Communications, Inc.
PRIMARY LOCATION: US-VA-Springfield-7741 Southern Dr
EMPLOYEE STATUS: Regular
JOB LEVEL: Individual Contributor
SHIFT: Day Job
UNPOSTING DATE: 2018-03-10.