Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Topeka, Kansas
For more than 120 years, The J. M. Smucker Company has been committed to offering consumers quality products that bring families together to share memorable meals and moments. Today, Smucker is a leading marketer and manufacturer of consumer food and beverage products and pet food and pet snacks in North America with annual net sales of approximately $8 billion. In consumer foods and beverages, its brands include Smucker's , Folgers , Jif , Dunkin Donuts , Crisco , Pillsbury , R.W. Knudsen Family , Hungry Jack , Caf Bustelo , Martha White , truRoots , Sahale Snacks , Robin Hood , and Bick s . In pet food and pet snacks, its brands include Meow Mix , Milk- Bone , Kibbles 'n Bits , Natural Balance , and 9Lives . The Company remains rooted in the Basic Beliefs of Quality, People, Ethics, Growth, and Independence established by its founder and namesake more than a century ago. For more information about the Company, visit jmsmucker.com.
This position is responsible for leading a shift of operators to produce a high quality, low cost product. They are also responsible to identify, prioritize, and lead resolution of opportunities within the department. They are responsible to coordinate activities on shift including, but not limited to: production requirements, quality requirements, safety requirements, and food safety requirements. This position is responsible to communicate with oncoming and outgoing shifts, leadership, maintenance, and other support departments. They will be leading special projects as required and will support testing as needed.
Will be responsible for coordinating day to day activities for one of the three shifts. Included in the day to day activities are the following:
CULTURE IN ACTION
* Listens to others before being heard
* Looks for the good in others
* Internalizes our plant Vison
* Organizes and prioritizes team priorities to flow to the work
* Is willing to challenge negativity with positive feedback
* Attacks the issue, not the person
* IS a supporter and functional practitioner of SQMS and HPO
* Ensure employees are following JSA s and SOP s.
* Support department implementation of BOS program.
* Ensure accidents and injuries are reported and investigated.
* Ensure Quality Procedures are followed.
* Ensure formulas are accurately followed and any deviation is reported and investigated.
* Ensure employees are completing packaging checks and paperwork in a timely and accurate manner.
* Ensure all holds are corrected and reworked as necessary.
* Ensure quality issues are identified and passed on to QA.
* Ensure areas are clean and well organized.
* Ensure clean-ups are well executed.
* Ensure day to day clean-up occurs as dictated by the Master Sanitation schedule.
* Provide direction for production team.
* Ensure equipment is operating at maximum rate and efficiency.
* Ensure equipment issues are identified and resolved.
* Ensure appropriate staff is in place for daily production needs.
* Ensure maintenance personnel are assigned as necessary to resolve issues.
* Ensure material issues are identified and resolved.
* Facilitate material and equipment troubleshooting as required.
* Ensure start-ups and changeovers are well prepared for and well executed.
* Assist Area Leaders in the facilitation, coordination and implementation of reliability improvements, strategic planning and schedule development.
* Ensure adequate and efficient direct labor and temporary services staffing levels are maintained.
* Ensure employee issues and conflicts are communicated to the appropriate Area Leader.
* Communicate to the appropriate Area Leader any discipline issues.
* Monitor, edit and approve Kronos.
* Provide input and feedback on employee performance to the appropriate Area Leader.
* Assist team in managing training needs and scheduling.
* Ensure detailed communications are transferred between shifts.
* Maintain shift log with details of the shift.
* Provide update to management of shift safety, quality and production results at daily transition meetings.
* Administer day-to-day coaching sessions with team members.
* Provide input and feedback on employee performance to the appropriate Area Leader and team members
* Compile and submit annual team member evaluations for Management Wage Committee approval.
* Present finalized annual evaluation to team member.
* Support SQMS (Smucker Quality Management Systems) Pillar Teams and their work.
High School or GED minimum; Bachelor Degree preferred
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE:
5 or more years of manufacturing experience and leadership qualities.
* Must be familiar with and demonstrate the ability to work effectively with operations support groups: safety, quality, sanitation, maintenance, engineering, production planning/inventory controls, human resources, accounting and research and development.
* Must have demonstrated leadership, communications, teamwork and training skills.
* Must have demonstrated organization and time management skills.
* Must have an excellent record in the areas of safety, attendance, performance and discipline.
* Must be willing to work rotating shifts as required.
* Must work with other teams and groups to support SQMS (Smucker Quality Management Systems) and HPO
* Must cover overtime and work weekends as required.
* Must have basic computer skills (Outlook, Excel, Word, Access a plus).
Standing: Up to 100% of time
Lifting: 4# to 50# frequently
Shoveling and sweeping frequently
Lift / Pull: Picking bags off conveyor or floor. Very little to whole shift
Removing damage or jammed cases/bags from machinery. Rare to continuous, depends upon how machine operates on shift.
Push / Pull: Trash hoppers several times per shift
Move pallets of corrugate with pallet jack. Up to 15 times per shift
Carry: Cases of material (up to 50#s) frequently during shift
Climbing: Ladders and stairwell to mezzanine 3 to 5 times per shift
Walking: In area is continuous
Stooping: Occasionally during shift to observe line operation or to make repairs
Kneeling: Occasionally during shift to observe line operation or to make repairs
Squatting: Occasionally during shift to observe line operation or to make repairs
Reaching: Occasionally during shift to observe line operation or to make repairs and more frequently to clear jams
Handling: Use of hand tools to make repairs occasionally packaging material and product inspection. Safety knives
Feeling: Feel for wear on equipment, bolt heads and nuts, equipment repair occasionally
Feel product for inspection, feel case seal for defects.
Twisting: Occasionally for equipment repair and hand stacking.
Talking: Co-worker communication on going
Communication during Reliability, Safety Tool Box, and Team Meetings
Hearing: Learning to identify proper equipment operator or mechanical failure by sound
Equipment, Fire, and Tornado alarms, two way radios
Noise: High noise level during operation hearing protection required in designated areas
Sight: Able to operate high-speed equipment and identify problems
Good peripheral vision to catch problems in other areas of the line
Working Environment / Physical Surroundings: Fast pace operations with several lines operating at the same time with limited crewing Noisy - Some cooling in room, but it is warm in the summer and cool in the winter. Tight working quarters
Personal Protective Equipment: All plant required PPE is required in area and additional protection required for certain job functions as described in SOP s and JSA s
Hazards: Potential to get caught in motion of machine if safety rules are not followed
High Speed Machinery starts and stops