R&D Automotive Intern, Optimal Vehicle Control at Hitachi America, Ltd.
Posted in Other 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Farmington Hills, Michigan
R&D Automotive Intern, Optimal Vehicle Controls
COMPANY: Hitachi America, Ltd.
LOCATION: Farmington Hills, MI
STATUS: Full-Time Internship
TERM: April 01, 2018 through September 30, 2018
HOURS: 9am-6pm (with a one hour lunch break), Monday - Friday
The Hitachi America, Ltd. (www.hitachi-america.us) is looking for a candidate pursuing their Masters/Ph.D. degree in Engineering (or equivalent) to join our Research & Development team as an Intern. The Intern will be involved in cutting edge research for automotive industry. The research field will encompass development of advanced control techniques such as model predictive control (MPC), adaptive control, and intelligent control by applying Machine Learning, Deep Learning, Sensor Fusion to enable vehicle intelligence. The candidate is expected to apply their knowledge to a broad range of vehicle control projects including Engine Powertrain, Exhaust aftertreatment, Electrification-Hybrid and Electric Vehicles. Develop optimization algorithms for powertrain control calibrations to improve fuel economy, performance, emissions, drivability, and diagnostics. The candidate will access Real Driving Emissions (RDE) using vehicle tests and traffic model simulations. Part of the job responsibility involves periodic documentation of research work to enable communication channels internal to Hitachi. During the period of the internship, the candidate is expected to work with researchers of the Automotive Product Lab and Hitachi Automotive Systems to optimize the solutions and fit the current vehicle level systems.
* MS degree or higher in Robotics, Electrical Engineering, Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, or Control Systems.
* Familiarity with the methods for optimization and optimal control, including MPC, dynamic programming, extremum seeking, stochastic optimal control and basic methods of machine learning.
* Experience with vehicle testing, powertrain controls and calibration (ATIVision, INCA, Vector CAN tools)
* Software/firmware development in one or more languages/platforms/libraries (Python, MATLAB, Real Time Workshop, NI LabVIEW)
* Hands on experience of sensor communication, installation and implementation is required
* Knowledge of estimation techniques such as non-linear optimization, SLAM, particle filters, machine learning based regression and/or classification is preferred.
* Experience with sensor systems such as camera, LIDAR, RADAR is preferred.
* Knowledge of working with embedded system (Raspberry Pi/Arduino, dSpace, NI)
* Knowledge of functionality and communication protocols for CAN bus or OBD2 in an automotive is preferred
* Knowledge of fundamental physics concepts related to engines gasoline, diesel, exhaust after-treatment, hybrid and electric vehicle is preferred.
* Good ability to plan and execute experiments, document, analyze and present experimental results
* Good literature survey, technical writing, & communication skills is required.
EOE-FEMALES/MINORITIES/PROTECTED VETERANS/INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES