Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Berkeley, California
Summer Limited Building Maintenance Worker(8213C) #24638
Housing & Dining Services
Return to Previous Page
The University of California, Berkeley, is one of the world s most iconic teaching and research institutions. Since 1868, Berkeley has fueled a perpetual renaissance, generating unparalleled intellectual, economic and social value in California, the United States and the world. Berkeley s culture of openness, freedom and acceptance academic and artistic, political and cultural make it a very special place for students, faculty and staff.
Berkeley is committed to hiring and developing staff who want to work in a high performing culture that supports the outstanding work of our faculty and students. In deciding whether to apply for a staff position at Berkeley, candidates are strongly encouraged to consider the alignment of the Berkeley Workplace Culture with their potential for success at http://jobs.berkeley.edu/why-berkeley.html.
Residential and Student Service Programs (RSSP) is part of the Division of Student Affairs under the direction of the Associate Vice Chancellor of RSSP. RSSP provides student housing, resid ential life programs, self-operated dining services for undergraduate and graduate students and their families, and child care services for students, fa culty, and staff; it also conducts a year-round conference business, operates eleven campus
restaurants/retail operations, and m anages twenty-six faculty apartments.
University Village Family Housing complex, located in Albany, CA includes 974 student family apartments in 70 apartment buildings plus numerous common areas such as laundries, administrative offic es Community Center, Academic Center, gymnastics building (app bay), ECEP, etc.
General (repair, replace): Screens, dry erase boards, chalk and bulletin boards, toilet paper dispensers, and similar items.
Carpentry (repair, replace): Replace ceiling tile, perform minor repairs to furniture, rubber base, toilet partitions, railings, and similar items. Perform caulking, grouting under direction. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Electrical (test, reset, clean, change batteries, repair, replace and/or conduct installations of): Replace light bulbs, fluorescent tubes; working under direction replace ballasts and starters; reset breakers as directed, set timers, replace batteries, repair, service battery operated items including: door alarms, battery powered smoke detectors; working under direction replace bathroom ventilation fans, repair vacuum cleaners, other small equipment. Receive training and follow lock-out, tag-out procedures. Incumbent will not work with live electricity. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Plumbing (Unclog, clean-out): Drains in sinks/showers/floors (non-powered auger), toilets. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Wall/ceiling treatment: Prepare, clean, walls for painting. For areas under 16 X 16 : Working under direction, patch and repair damage as necessary; texture, touch up/repaint surfaces. Paint and/or match existing paint using brushes, rollers, and spray cans. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Doors (Repair, clean, lubricate): Latches, hinges, partitions, pilasters (toilet partition systems) and similar items. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Windows, mirrors, glass (board-up/tape): Broken windows and tape cracks for safety prior to replacement. Replace residential mirrors. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Flooring (Repair, replace, adjust and/or conduct installations of): Working under direction, repair / spot replace only - Tile (VC and ceramic), baseboard, carpet squares, thresholds, safety strips, etc. Refer trades level work through supervisor in a timely manner.
Furniture: Working under direction, assemble/disassemble and move and store as needed. Disassemble/reassemble bunk beds and lofts.
General Cleaning-Room/Apartment Turnover Cleaning
* Properly clean walls, window, sills, tracks, light fixtures; clean all interior surfaces including closets, shelves, blinds, and drapes.
* Prepare apartments for painting.
* Clean, extract and vacuum carpets; sweep, mop, strip, buff, wax floors
* Kitchens: Properly clean refrigerators, ranges, ovens, sinks, countertops, cabinets, ventilation fans and hoods, water heaters, other appliances. Remove grease from all surfaces.
* Bathrooms: Properly clean floors, walls, closets, sinks, toilets, showers, tubs, cabinets, and counters.
* Clean stairwells, storage closets, patios, decks and balconies. Remove trash, debris and abandoned property.
* Power washing sidewalks, other hardscape surfaces working under direction.
* Clean and organize maintenance shop spaces as directed.
Preventative Maintenance (PM): Assists in performing PM work.
* Maintain records on the upkeep of University assigned vehicle (if applicable).
* Log-in mileage.
* Maintain vehicles according to fleet services.
* Operate vehicle on UC business with valid CA driver s license while observing traffic laws.
* Park vehicle in proper locations.
* Responsible for any citations relating to the operation of the vehicle.
Maintenance Operations Coordination:
* Exercise care and follow the manufacturer s instruction in the use of UC equipment, supplies, and power/hand tools.
* Maintain the shop, storage, and various work areas in clean orderly and safe condition.
* Maintain, secure, and inventory all tools, equipment and supplies.
* Participate in: Maintenance shop set-up, clean-up, improvement and oversight
* Follow the established priority repair system in performance of duties. At the end of each work day delivers completed work orders to the Unit office.
* Maintain files to include, but not limited to, paint charts, supplier information, warranties, specifications, inventory, plan/blue prints, detailed floor plans.
Materials and Services:
* As directed: Pick up purchases, stock, and inventory supplies.
Administrative Functions (administer or complete):
* Work requests/orders.
* Daily log sheets.
Safety and Health Awareness/Responsibilities:
* Performs all work in conformance with EH&S health and safety policies, OSHA and other applicable federal, state and local fire, health, safety, emergency-preparedness, pollution-prevention policies, RSSP policies and procedures and University of California s policies and procedures, including IIPP (Safety and Health Procedures), Hazardous Materials Communications Program, Health and Safety Manual, as well as any other document authorized by the RSSP management to have bearing on employee safety and conduct.
* Aware of potential hazardous operations, and takes appropriate precautions.
* Immediately stops work in the event of danger to people or property.
* Proceeds with work only after ensuring that appropriate safety procedures have been implemented.
* Reports all accidents and/or incidents immediately to supervisor for record keeping.
* Utilizes good judgment in interpersonal communications in situations requiring sensitivity and tact. Treats customers, co-workers, supervisors and managers with respect and courtesy.
* Works in a cooperative manner with co-workers and promotes a cooperative team environment.
* Has a good working relationship with a complete understanding of the roles of students, faculty, staff and other RSSP employees as clients.