Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Reno, Nevada
Under close supervision, repair, maintain, test, proof or adjust as needed all fiber optic cables and related equipment in coordination with the Construction Team. Ensure maximum quality and peak performance and reliability of all fiber optic equipment. Respond to fiber damage events, perform splicing repairs of fiber optic cables, and report all information concerning damages.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Actively and consistently support all efforts to simplify and enhance the customer experience.
Conduct fiber splicing, testing, and activation on small/medium construction projects such as SMB fiber lateral builds and node splits.
Coordinate fiber maintenance related activities for nodes and hospitality and MDU customers.
Repair any problems affecting fiber or fiber related equipment.
Assure proper alignment of the optical path and RF levels between the Hub and the Node (forward and return setup) including but not limited to transmitters, receivers, monitoring equipment, Quadrature Amplitude Modulation (QAMs), and Cable Modem Termination Systems (CMTS).
Measure and record performance characteristics of outside plant with electronic equipment such as OTDR, Fusion Splicers and other related equipment.
Perform and/or coordinate with other functions including Field Operations and Maintenance all testing of fiber network.
Build in the appropriate location all mandatory tracking documents for fibers/circuits and activate new nodes as required by new build construction or through segmentation work.
Operate highly specialized test and fiber optic splicing equipment.
Provide onsite repair, installation, and servicing of optic hardware up to the fiber optic patch panel with the ability to identify and resolves performance problems onsite.
Perform investigation and repair of cut fiber optic cables or impairments, reporting all information concerning damages to supervisor.
Splice fiber optic cables and splice cases with a thorough knowledge of standards, materials and techniques utilizing single and mass fusion splicing equipment.
Complete and report all splicing and testing documentation to the local design team.
Complete certification testing of fiber optic links.
Communicate with Project Manager, Construction Coordinator, or designated supervisor regarding concerns about construction progress.
Adhere to industry specific local, state, and federal regulations, as applicable.
Know, understand and follow company policies.
Perform other duties as requested by supervisor.
Skills/Abilities and Knowledge
* Ability to read, write and speak the English language to communicate with employees, customers, and suppliers, in person, on the phone, and by written communications in a clear, straight-forward, and professional manner
* Knowledge of traditional fiber architectures Fiber Plant Maintenance
* Ability to use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches, screwdrivers
* Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
* Ability to safely use weight-bearing equipment (such as gaffs, safety harness and ladders) within the maximum weight limitations of that equipment
* Ability to accurately measure distances, using tapes or other measuring devices
* Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder (approx. 32 ft. high and 90 pounds)
* Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed
* Ability to differentiate between different sizes and colors of wires
* Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting
* Ability to read general system layouts from blueprints
* Ability to operate appropriate computer or test equipment associated with position (e.g. signal level meters, ohm meters, etc.)
* Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs)
* Ability to work while standing 50-70% of the time
* Ability to work with small components and wires to make cable connections
* Ability to dig in all types of soil
* Ability to drive Company vehicle in a safe and responsible manner
* Ability to operate machinery used for underground/overhead cable installation
* Ability to prioritize and organize effectively
* Ability to work independently
* Ability to use personal computer, mobile device and software applications
* Basic knowledge of traditional fiber architectures
* Basic knowledge of Coarse and Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (CWDM/DWDM)
* Knowledge of fiber optic systems, RF plant, and test equipment
* Knowledge of company products and services
* Knowledge of National Electric Code and National Electrical Safety Code
High School Diploma or equivalent work experience
Associates degree in electronics or related field preferred
Industry and vendor specific certifications and training (NCTI, SCTE, and BCT/E) preferred
Coursework completion: NCTI Fiber Installation and Activation and Fiber Testing and Maintenance and/or SCTE Maintenance Technology Level 2, Networking Testing and Maintenance Level 2 and Optical Fiber Construction
Related Work Experience Number of Years
Maintenance Tech or equivalent work experience 1+
Certifications and/or Licenses
Valid driver's license with satisfactory driving record within company required standards
Office and field environment
Work indoors in confined space, poorly ventilated areas such as attics, basements, crawlspaces and/or manholes
Exposure to dust, dirt, noise, insects, rodents, pets, and cleaning solutions
Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
Work performed near power lines and electricity
Work performed at various heights above ground on telephone/power poles
Work in commercial or factory type environments
Work and travel in inclement weather
May be required to work an on-call rotation as the business needs dictate
Occasionally required to work overtime as the business needs dictate
Ability to work weekends or a second shift as the business needs dictate