Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: new orleans, Louisiana
Global reach. Local results.
Ports America is proud to be the largest terminal operator and stevedore in the United States, operating in more than 42 ports and 80 locations.
We provide clients with a distinct competitive advantage, combining the flexibility of global connection with the efficiency of local expertise. We are dedicated to customer satisfaction, consistently delivering measurable results. And our commitment to safety in the workplace is second to none.
The Superintendent is a part of the operations management team and is responsible for the direction and supervision of Longshore workers. While maintaining a positive working relationship with the labor, the Superintendent is to set the standard and be held accountable for a safe and efficient operation.
* Work closely with terminal staff to prepare department plans while determining the appropriate workforce to hire for an efficient and cost effective completion of plan
* Supervises union represented personnel in proper operating procedures and as needed will counsel, discipline or make termination recommendations to ensure an efficient operation while working within the definitions of the labor agreement
* Enforces productivity levels by supervising longshore workers in making multiple rounds within the terminal and a follow up assessments prior to shift end
* Completes various reports and forms such as shift production, payroll, and safety summaries; Produces reports to respective parties within required deadlines
* Supports, monitors and trouble shoots, when necessary, terminal operating systems, ensuring data is accurate. Additional technology related duties may apply
* Plans, holds and documents daily safety meetings; partnering with Area Health, Safety & Environment to understand and train longshore workers to adhere to safety procedures while implementing plans to address safety hazards
* Reports problems and issues to appropriate Manager of great impact and complexity to the operation
* Responsible for learning, navigating and adhering to all union contracts
* Performs other related duties as required
PHYSICAL WORKING CONDITIONS
* The ability to climb up and down a ladder on a vessel multiple times within a shift
* The ability to work in changing hot and cold climates based on weather conditions
* The ability to work in an environment that may be hazardous to persons unable to see and hear fast moving equipment
* The ability to drive 50%
* The ability to lift 30 pounds
* The ability to use a computer/keyboard
The above duties and responsibilities are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all-inclusive.
* BS/BA degree in Marine Administration, Transportation, Operations Management, Engineering, or equivalent experience working in management preferred
* 2-5 years managing related union labor
* Thorough knowledge or principles of terminal operations
* Experience with computerized operating systems
* Knowledge of safety and accident prevention codes and regulations
* Knowledge and understanding of cargo stowage and stability strongly desired
* Requires the ability to manage a large, complex and diverse workforce in a fast paced environment
* Requires problem solving skills to respond quickly and effectively to operational issues
* Requires the ability to plan and organize projects in a fast paced environment and be available to work varied hours, shifts and days
* Requires the ability to communicate effectively with union workforce and other staff
* Requires the ability to analyze and trouble shoot computer programs
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled