Research Assistant I - School of Medicine at West Virginia University
Posted in Science 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Morgantown, West Virginia
The Department of Orthopaedics in the West Virginia University School of Medicine is seeking a Research Assistant. This position is responsible for providing support to a staff of surgeons and research scientists.
In order to be successful in this position, the ideal candidate will:
- Perform laboratory duties related to cell culture, microbiology research and nano-particle systhesis.
- Participate in general laboratory management needs (i.e. equipment calibrations, inventory tacking, laboratory upkeep and organization, safety, and space management needs).
- Conduct literature reviews, collect data, and participate in data analysis and manuscript preparation.
- Assist in writing SOPs for lab techniques, as well as ACUC protocols and IBC documents.
- Perform literature searches and research trends in orthopaedic research technique.
- Perform routine animal checks and handling; work with veterinary and husbandry staff to ensure IACUC guidelines are adhered to.
- Assist in animal surgeries, using appropriate sterile technique and animal handling protocols.
- Assist in cadaveric handling, maintain cadaver inventory, and train personnel in proper techniques for tissue handling.
- Bachelor's degree in related discipline or an equivalent combination of education and experience
- Relevant experience preferred
- Basic understanding of Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Knowledge of working with nano-particle synthesis and nano-medicine preferred
- General microbiology and aseptic techniques preferred
- Knowledge of biofilms and infection models preferred
- Knowledge of translational medicine research preferred
- Knowledge of animal research models preferred
- Knowledge of laboratory safety protocols and chemical hygiene is a plus
- General laboratory upkeep, ordering, inventory control, and equipment upkeep is a plus