Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator (Educator) - Marion County, Indianapolis, IN - Field Extension at Purdue University
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: West Lafayette, Indiana
Purdue Extension - Marion County is one of 92 Purdue Extension offices around the state that delivers research-based community support as an outreach arm of Purdue University. The Urban Agriculture Program of Purdue Extension aims to support beginning urban farmers and the community of people leading urban agriculture projects. This work occurs through programs like the Purdue Urban Farm Incubator Network, the Purdue Extension Urban Agriculture Certificate, through increasing awareness of urban agriculture and helping coordinate the Indiana Small Farm Conference. To learn more about the Purdue Extension - Marion County Urban Agriculture Program, visit www.purdue.edu/dffs/urbanag .
The Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator will work with Purdue Extension - Marion County's Urban Agriculture Educator. The Coordinator will draw on their own experience with small scale, diversified farming to support Indianapolis urban food growers. This person should be comfortable talking through the technical details of growing food crops on two acres or less. The Coordinator will use their experiential knowledge in small scale farming as an instructor in a classroom setting as well as in one-on-one consultations with urban farmers and gardeners.
The Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator will support the set up and delivery of the Urban Agriculture Certificate Course. The Urban Agriculture Certificate Course consists of 25 modules offered to the community urban agriculture project leaders in the evenings. The goal for student learning and experience in the course is that each participant will: (1) receive in-depth instruction for urban organic crop production-from farm design through harvest techniques, (2) clarify their project vision and strengthen their community impact, (3) learn to think like an enterprise to achieve economic sustainability and (4) grow their network of connections to other urban farms and gardens. See the course flyer with dates and location here: http://bit.ly/2idXmFS
The Urban Agriculture Program Coordinator will also use their time to consult with urban farmers individually and assist with farm and garden design and function throughout the growing season. This person may also assist the Urban Agriculture Educator with occasional other programs such as urban agriculture tours and other marketing and programming efforts.
**This represents a part-time job (50% FTE) working 20 hours per week. Many programs occur in evening or weekend hours, so it will be necessary to work outside of normal office hours.
- Associates degree.
- Two years' experience in small scale vegetable farming using organic methods or related urban agriculture site management and/or educational programming.
- In lieu of a degree, consideration will be given to an equivalent combination of related education and required work experience
- Working knowledge of small scale, diversified agriculture with an emphasis on organic management.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; comfortable in and enjoy interacting with a diverse audiences.
- Strong (oral and written) communication skills with confidence speaking in front of groups.
- Comfort in engaging with technical agriculture topics and a willingness to research and learn.
- Ability to work independently and in teams.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with ability to follow through on commitments and meet deadlines.
- Computer proficient in Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook (email and calendar).
- Familiar with digital document creation/editing and ability to contribute to development of a web-based program resources.
- A valid driver's license with ability to travel throughout Indianapolis and Marion County.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the program, including occasional evening or weekend hours.
- Bachelor's degree.
- Experience as an educator.
- Working knowledge of Blackboard or other virtual learning environment/course management system.
- This represents a part-time job (50% FTE) working 20 hours per week. Many programs occur in evening or weekend hours, so it will be necessary to work outside of normal office hours.
- This position is based at the Indiana State Fairgrounds (1202 E. 38th Street, Indpls.), however workshops take place throughout Indianapolis and Marion County.
- Purdue will not sponsor an employment related visa for this position.
- A background check will be required for employment in this position.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt (Eligible For Overtime)
- Retirement Eligibility: PERF/Non-exempt Contribution Plan.
- Purdue University is an EOE/AA employer. All individuals, including minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.