Quality Control Lab Supervisor - Pompton Lakes, NJ at Tilcon New York, Inc
Posted in Science 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Pompton Lakes, New Jersey
Job ID: 129686
“Safety, Integrity, Quality are the foundation or core values on which Tilcon New York Inc., an Oldcastle Materials Company operates. Located in New York and New Jersey, Tilcon New York Inc. is an integrated materials company with multiple quarry locations, water terminals, heavy highway construction division, asphalt and recycle plants. Tilcon manufactures sells and ships, made in the USA, products of crushed stone, asphalt, sand, gravel and recycled materials throughout New York, New Jersey, and some areas of Pennsylvania. Growth opportunity, professional development and a culture of support and resources are provided to each employee for their personal growth and success within Tilcon New York Inc., and the Oldcastle Materials Group.
Responsible for supervising, training, leading and supporting Quality Control Technicians that are performing quality control testing and monitoring of crushed aggregates, recycle materials and hot mix asphalt mixtures produced at their assigned locations in designated regions of Tilcon NY, Inc. This position will require working in a technician capacity as needed.
Roles and Responsibilities
Essential Duties and Functions
- Formally and visibly demonstrate support and understanding of OMG and Tilcon’s core values of Safety, Integrity, Quality
- Work safely, complying with all OSHA and MSHA regulations and Tilcon environmental, health and safety policies and procedures
- Supervise Quality Control Technicians and ensure accuracy of reporting
- Lead team Safety engagement activities
- Perform quality control testing as required by State and local agencies, private, and in accordance with Tilcon procedures ensuring the highest quality material is being produced
- Maintain current State agency QC/QA certifications, upholding all aspects of the quality control program staying in compliance with agency specifications
- Work with other supervisors to staff Quality Control technicians appropriately
- Ensure that all laboratories have calibrated equipment, ensure equipment is in good working order and laboratories comply with 5S
- Monitor activities of direct reports daily, and identify potential issues proactively
- Assist QC Tech I, II, and III with necessary production adjustments to ensure products are produced to specifications or targets
- Produce and submit mix designs as needed
- Work with daily scheduling to ensure plant network is properly balanced, sourced and optimized
- Support and assist internal customers (sales, construction, estimating, operations and senior management) and external customers by reviewing and providing detail information/insight on material specifications and test results as requested.
- Attend Pre-Construction and Pre-Pave meetings as required
- Assist the QC Manager in interpreting plans and specifications to determine project specific mix design and QC requirements
- Assist the QC Manager in resolving customer issues
- Cover for QC Manager as necessary
- Mobile within the assigned region and Company
- Participate in local Association/Trade group technical committees and actively understand current research and Industry trends
- Positive, engaged attitude. Handle job responsibilities timely, proficiently and ethically
- Additional duties as assigned or required.
Marginal Duties and Functions
- Share and implement Best Practices for efficient laboratory and plant operations.
- Willingness to work in a team environment and assist direct reports and co-workers with other duties as required.
- Perform business administrative duties such as maintaining records and files, preparing reports and ordering supplies and equipment.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.
- High School diploma or General Education Degree (GED) or 5 years+ of Quality Control II or Quality Control III work experience.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.S. or B.E.) from four year college or university and experience at Quality Control II or Quality Control III level.
- Any equivalent combination of experience and training that provides the preferred knowledge, skills and abilities.
- High level of proficiency with all Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
- Strict adherence to safety requirements and company procedures as outlined in the Employee Handbook.
- Ability to work scheduled overtime and weekends and occasional night shifts.
- Available for emergency overtime when the need arises. This may include occasional weekend hours.
- Ability to travel to various job sites several times a week. Posses a valid drivers license.
- Ability to carry out standardized laboratory tests in accordance with ASTM and AASHTO standards.
- Ability to read English language sufficiently to read information contained in specifications, reports, manuals and regulations.
- Ability to use a computer to communicate and analyze data. This includes but is not limited to the use of Outlook, MS Office programs, and web-based programs.
- Ability to perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another.
- Ability to communicate effectively with and work well with other personnel.
- Ability to evaluate questions or problems effectively, seeking assistance when needed.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee is required to sit, walk and stand for periods of time. The employee is required to use a computer for extended periods of time. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust to focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This job will require both office work and field work. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in outside weather conditions and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The noise level in the work environment in the office is usually quiet.
Safety, Integrity, Quality
Formally and visibly demonstrate support and understanding of OMG and Tilcon’s core values.
Consistently achieving results, even under tough circumstances
Creating new and better ways for the organization to be successful
Attracts Top Talent
Attracting and selecting the best talent to meet current and future business needs
Developing people to meet both their career goals and the organization's goals.
Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Applying knowledge of business and the marketplace to advance the organization’s goals
Stepping up to address difficult issues, saying what needs to be said
Rebounding from setbacks and adversity when facing difficult situations
Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions
Builds Effective Teams
Building strong-identity teams that apply their diverse skills and perspectives to achieve common goals
What Oldcastle Offers You
- A culture that values opportunity for growth, development and internal promotion
- Highly competitive base pay
- Comprehensive medical, dental and disability benefits programs
- Group retirement savings program
- Health and wellness programs
Oldcastle has a long and proud heritage as one of North America’s largest corporations. We are a proud reflection of the hundreds of family businesses, local and regional companies and mid to large sized enterprises that together form the Oldcastle family. Oldcastle operates with a decentralized, diversified structure, letting you work in a small company environment while having the career opportunities of a large enterprise.
Oldcastle is a great place to grow! If you’re up for a rewarding challenge, we invite you to take the first step and apply today! Please complete your online application and profile which will be sent directly to the appropriate Hiring Manager. Thank you for your interest in the Oldcastle family!
Tilicon New York Inc. is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer.
EOE/Vet/Disability--If you want to know more, please click on this link.
Tilicon New York Inc. is part of the Oldcastlecareers™ network.