Meter Reader/Service Person at Maryland American Water
Posted in Installation - Maint - Repair 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Bel Air, Maryland
Founded in 1886, American Water is the largest and most geographically diverse publicly traded U.S. water and wastewater utility company. With headquarters in Voorhees, N.J., the company employs 6,800 dedicated professionals who provide regulated and market-based drinking water, wastewater and other related services to an estimated 15 million people in 47 states and Ontario, Canada. To learn more about American Water and additional career opportunities, visit www.amwater.com.
Tests and repairs meters. Reads meters, as needed.
- Tests and repairs meters. Reads meters, as needed.
- Maintains and stocks meter testing room and meter supply room.
- Maintains a properly equipped vehicle.
- Performs Serviceperson duties, when needed. This may include responding to service calls, responding to customer service calls or field related tasks.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Knowledge / Skills
- Basic understanding of meter function, meter reading, and repair.
- Working knowledge of all tools needed to perform job duties.
- Broad working knowledge of distribution system components, including their installation, such as valves, hydrants, tapping devices and various types of pipe materials.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Ability to speak effectively before the customers of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
- Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram or schedule form.
Functional / Technical Skills
Learning on the Fly
Experience / Education
High school diploma or general education degree (GED) with experience in water distribution systems.
Work Environment/Physical Demands
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must pass pulmonary function test necessary f or use of self-contained breathing apparatus and if requested a range of motion test.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. The employee frequently is required to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or remove up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job in all weather conditions and is regularly exposed to vibration. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in outside weather conditions. The employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts and is frequently expose to toxic or caustic chemicals and extreme cold. The employee occasionally works in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, fumes or airborne particles, extreme heat and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
Licenses & Certifications
- Valid motor vehicle operators license with acceptable driving record.
- Must be able to obtain temporary Class II Maryland Operators License within 60 days.
- Class II Maryland Operator’s license must be obtained within (2) years of position award and maintained.
- Must obtain a Maryland Traffic Control Certification Card within 90 calendar days of position award
Join American Water...We Keep Life Flowing™
American Water is firmly committed to Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and prohibits employment discrimination for employees and applicants based on his or her age, race, color, pregnancy, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, religion, marital status, citizenship, or because he or she is an individual with a disability, protected veteran or other status protected by federal, state, and local laws.