Locum Associate Editor, Nature Genetics at Nature America, Inc
Posted in Writing/Editing 15 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
We are recruiting a temporary member of the Nature Genetics editorial team to cover a 12 week period of staff parental leave from April 1st 2018. Nature Genetics publishes the highest quality work in genetics and genomics, and we are seeking a scientist with broad interest in agricultural or biomedical science and expertise in genetics and genomics research. The successful candidate will have a deep understanding of their subject and interest in learning new fields, excellent communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team.
This position involves working closely with the Chief Editor and other members of the journal team on all aspects of the editorial process, including laboratory visits, manuscript evaluation, commissioning and editing reviews, organizing peer-review, writing for the journal, and developing the content of the journal, in print, online and in social media.
To be considered for the position, you will have:
- A PhD (or equivalent) in a field relevant to genetics and genomics. Candidates with expertise in agricultural or biomedical science are particularly encouraged to apply.
- A thorough understanding of recent developments and trends in the field.
- A passion for science and a thirst to learn more. You must be able to demonstrate the breadth of your interest in scientific research, both within and beyond your speciality.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and be fluent in English (written and spoken).
- The ability to read and assess the novelty, context and implications of research submitted to the journal from different areas of genetics and genomics research.
- Be eager to meet scientists, learn more about them and their research, and help them learn more about us and what we are looking for in the papers we seek to publish.
The successful candidate will report to the Chief Editor for Nature Genetics, and will play an important role in determining the content of the journal. They will handle original research papers, and work closely with other editors on all aspects of the journal. They will liaise extensively with editors at other journals in the Nature family and experts in the international scientific community. Editorial experience is not required, although applicants with significant editorial experience are encouraged to apply.
The position is offered on a full-time, temporay basis, for 12 consecutive weeks from April 1st 2018 based in our New York office.
Applicants should include:
A CV detailing education, relevant employment history, salary expectations, and any other achievements that demonstrate suitability for the position.
A cover letter explaining their interest in the post
A News & Views piece in the style of Nature Genetics (500-1000 words) on a recent paper from the literature.
Applications will not be considered if they are incomplete, should arrive as soon as possible, and no later than April 1st 2018.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following EEO Is The Law Poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.