Assistant General Counsel - Patent Asset Development at Yahoo
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: SUNNYVALE, Texas
Oath, a subsidiary of Verizon, is a values-led company committed to building brands people love. We reach over one billion people around the world with a dynamic house of 50+ media and technology brands. A global leader in digital and mobile, Oath is shaping the future of media.
Oath Inc. (formerly AOL and Yahoo) is looking for an Assistant General Counsel to join its Patent Asset Development team, which is part of Oath's Intellectual Property Asset Management ("IPAM") group within the Oath Legal Department. The IPAM group is a cross-functional, team-oriented unit that manages some of the most challenging and exciting legal issues facing the Company. Members of the Patent Asset Development team are responsible for, among other things, developing patentable subject matter throughout the company's worldwide operations and managing ongoing prosecution of the company's existing portfolio.
- Strategic patent asset development, including locating, identifying and developing patentable subject matter
- Manage outside counsel and provide oversight of existing patent applications
- Provide IP training and guidance to inventors and business groups
- Assess patent validity, particularly in connection with offers to purchase patents
- Analyze patent assertions and assess risk to the company, including the investigation of infringement allegations and investigation into and development of defenses
- Assist with analysis of inbound and outbound open source licensing
- Assist with pre-litigation disputes and inbound patent license analysis
- Assist with complex licenses and transactions involving intellectual property, including initial drafting, negotiating, and finalizing agreements
- JD, technical undergraduate degree in physics, EE or CS, and registered to practice before the USPTO required
- Experience identifying patentable subject matter and prosecuting applications required
- Experience with patent litigation or licensing preferred
- At least 5 years of legal experience required, with prior in-house experience a plus
- Strong understanding of Internet architecture and technologies preferred
- A member of the California bar, in good standing, preferred
- Strong communication skills and experience working with engineers and/or product managers preferred
Submission of this information is voluntary and refusal to provide it will not subject you to any adverse treatment.
Currently work for Oath? Please apply on our internal career site.