Liability Adjuster at Erie Insurance
Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: silver spring, Maryland
Exercises independent discretion or judgment in handling of personal lines and commercial auto claims involving questionable or clear liability issues. Handles simple property damage and litigation claims, limited to small claims court.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establishes immediate contact with Policyholders and claimants, conducts investigations, interviews insureds, witnesses and physicians, evaluates and makes recommendations regarding coverage.
- Sets and maintains adequate reserves, obtains reports and related materials, determines liability and total value of claim, and issues checks or declines payment.
- Documents files and submits final report.
- Identifies subrogation situations and initiates appropriate action.
- Within designated authority, negotiates with plaintiff attorney as required.
- Develops and applies a working knowledge of legal and medical claims terminology and procedures.
- Attends industry-related training programs and attends other training sessions to stay current on policy changes, interpretation or new legislation.
- Participates on Catastrophe Team when required.
The first five duties listed are the functions identified as essential to the job. Essential functions are those job duties that must be performed in order for the job to be accomplished.
Ability To Learn And Follow Procedures
Ability To Maintain Composure
Ability to Manage Complexity
Developing And Maintaining Relationships
Information Management Skills
Planning And Organizing
High school diploma or GED required. Bachelor's degree preferred. One year claims adjusting experience, preferably with casualty claims, or equivalent educational experience, required. Position requires incumbents to serve on Catastrophe Team, which may include travel on short notice to other locations for periods in excess of two consecutive weeks. Appropriate license as required by state.
Lifting 0-20 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Lifting 20-50 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Lifting Over 50 lbs; Occasional (<20>
Pushing/Pulling; Occasional (<20>
Manual Keying/Data Entry; Often (20-50%)
Nearest Major Market: Washington DC
Job Segment: Adjuster, Liability, Law, Claims, Insurance, Legal