Algorithm Developer- Fitness Products at Garmin International
Posted in Software 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Olathe, Kansas
As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from diverse backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
At Garmin, we create products that solve complex problems and make people’s lives safer, healthier and more enjoyable. If you are interested in developing software using C and C++, we have a future for you.
We are looking for a full time Embedded Software Engineer for algorithms with a passion for building innovative algorithms to enable the best touch user experience in our embedded wearable and fitness products. You will get to think outside of the box, while working on novel ideas to build a touch interface that is optimized for low power, while still maintaining exceptional performance and responsiveness in harsh environments that our users expect. So, put your theoretical knowledge and practical skills into practice developing innovative touch algorithms that enable our most challenging use cases from glove use to sweat and water rejection.
- Invent touch algorithms that solve complex user use cases, borrowing ideas from digital signal processing, digital communications, statistics, machine learning, or other math familiar to you
- Quickly prototype and refine these algorithms in an environment like MATLAB, R or SciPy
- Implement these algorithms in C or C++ to run on an embedded platform with or without a real-time operating system
- Optimize algorithms to maximize performance and minimize power consumption in challenging platforms
- Perform design analysis, characterization and validation for touchscreen hardware designs in product strategy reviews
- Perform advanced technical research on new touch sensors and technologies for use in future products and develop prototypes to demo those technologies with the team
- Work with electronic prototypes at a bench, using an oscilloscope and other test equipment and collaboratively with other engineers to solve challenging system integration issues
Candidates for this role should possess a Bachelor of Science Degree in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Math or Physics or another relevant engineering/technical field AND a minimum of 5 year relevant experience OR Master of Science Degree in any of the fields noted above AND a minimum of 3 years relevant experience OR an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience plus a cumulative GPA greater than or equal to 3.0 as a general rule.
- 2 years of hands-on industry experience developing for consumer electronic products
- Experience developing embedded algorithms
- Must possess proficiency in writing software in C or C++ and MATLAB as appropriate for performing the essential functions of this job description
- Experience working with ARM-based MCUs and/or MPUs; ARM Cortex M Series and ARM Cortex A Series preferred
- Experience working with capacitive touch technologies and leading touch sub systems through complete product cycles
- Communication theory (signal detection, estimation, tracking under noise)
- Familiar with filtering signal processing and filtering
- Proficient in using oscilloscopes, logic analyzers and etc. to design, test and validate embedded systems
- Knowledge of touchscreen technology and design (selecting sensors, defining sensor patterns, providing board/ITO layout constraints and requirements)
- Understanding of advantages/disadvantages between self-capacitance and mutual capacitance
- Two years of hands-on experience working on software integrated into an embedded device using an RTOS
- Knowledge of the physics behind the use of a driven shield
- Ability to work independently with little direction, ability to work collaboratively and professionally with other Garmin associates in cross functional teams to achieve goals
- Exemplifies Garmin’s Mission Statement and Quality Policy and proactively works to improve Garmin’s image and culture