Senior Composite Technician at GKN Aerospace
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Cromwell, Connecticut
LOGIN TO SAVE THIS VACANCY
Advertising End Date:
03 Jul 2018
About The Opportunity
Help An Innovative, Growing, & Fast-paced Organization by Joining Our Team!
GKN Aerospace is a global first tier supplier of airframe and engine structures, components, assemblies and transparencies to a wide range of aircraft and engine prime contractors and other first tier suppliers. We operate in three main product areas: aerostructures, engine components/sub-systems, and special products. We are over 11,500 employees strong with 32 locations in 9 different countries.
GKN Aerospace Cromwell was established in 2003, and includes a site in Wallingford, CT. Our sites specializes in the design and manufacture of composite assemblies for both military and commercial applications using innovative and cutting edge technologies. Role Purpose
This position will be located out of the Wallingford, CT location. Our Composite Technicians manufacture complex composite parts and assemblies for the aerospace industry while working on self-directed teams with minimal direct supervision. Follow operating procedures, engineering instructions, and other recognized methods of instructions. Perform a variety of manufacturing activities involved in the preparation and fabrication of large composite aerospace parts and assembly operations in both development and production environments. Key Responsibilities
* Prepreg and wet layup fabrication techniques, including vacuum bag processing, bonding, and oven/autoclave curing.
* Assemble composite structures including setup, bonding, and fastener applications.
Operation of measuring devises such as calipers, height gages, micrometers, and torque wrenches. * Follow standard and non-standard operating procedures to assemble, inject, cure, trim, drill, and make simple repairs to composite parts;
* Use hand, power, and machine tools to prepare, and clean process molds, equipment, parts, assemblies, or machinery where needed. Equipment used may include hand knife, automated power or hand cutters, computerized injection equipment, hydraulic presses, cranes or other lifting devices, oven operations, and other shop equipment;
* Organize work areas, maintain a clean work environment, plan tasks with team, perform assigned work and meet or exceed cost, quality and schedule needs;
High School Diploma or GED needed. MUST be able to validate HS Diploma or GED prior to acceptance of an offer.
* Must be a U.S. Citizen
* Minimum of 3 years of hands on composite manufacturing experience with Kevlar, carbon woven fabric and other carbon materials
* Able to work independently with minimal supervision
* Manage change and solve technical operational problems
* Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing with operational and technical staff
* Work well with others and be able to organize and contribute to a team
* Strong attention to detail
* Basic use of hand/pneumatic tools including measurement tools: micrometers, calipers and veniers required
* Good working knowledge of two-part resin injection systems a plus
* Strong analytical skills
* Ability to read and interpret technical instructions
* Hands on experience with assembly/disassembly of large tooling details
* Overhead crane experience
* Basic understanding and implementation of LEAN principles
* Working knowledge of aerospace industry standards and procedures
* Specific Vision abilities required; including close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to focus with a specific requirement for corrected vision at 20/25 or better;
* Must be able to work in a production environment and travel throughout the facilities and corporation to obtain information needed to perform job functions;
* Requires eye-hand coordination and manual dexterity;
* Employee must be able to lift and/or move up to 25 lbs., using proper lifting techniques.
GKN is a global engineering business. We design, manufacture and service systems and components for most of the world s leading aircraft, vehicle and machinery manufacturers. We are continuously evolving, pioneering new technologies and reinventing existing ones, stretching ourselves to better in everything we do. GKN operates three divisions: GKN Aerospace, GKN Driveline and GKN Powder Metallurgy employing 56,000 people in more than 30 countries.
GKN Aerospace is the world s leading multi-technology tier 1 aerospace supplier. With 55 manufacturing locations in 14 countries, we serve over 90% of the world s aircraft and engine manufacturers. We design and manufacture innovative smart aerospace systems and components. Our technologies are used in aircraft ranging from the most used single aisle aircraft and the largest passenger planes in the world to business jets and the world s advanced 5th generation fighter aircraft.
Diversity and Inclusion
As a global engineering company, innovation is what differentiates us from our competitors and is central to our success.
A balance of cultures, ethnicities and genders help bring new ideas and creativity to GKN. We need people of different backgrounds, with different skills and perspectives to spark originality, imagination and creativeness in our teams around the world.
GKN is an equal opportunity employer.
We treat all our employees and applicants fairly and are committed to ensuring that there is no discrimination or harassment against any employee or qualified applicant on the grounds of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.