Medical Coder at Cherokee Nation Businesses
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Houston, Texas
Fort Sam Houston, TX
San Antonio Military Medical Center (SAMMC), the largest military hospital in our Nation, is designed to care for up to 425 inpatients. SAMMC provides safe, quality, evidence-based care for our military and civilian patients. As the sole verified Level I Trauma Center within the Department of Defense (DoD), SAMMC simultaneously provides emergency services during 80,000 Emergency Department visits annually and serves as the premier medical readiness training platform for both the Army and the Air Force.
We are looking for Certified Remote (within one hour of San Antonio) Medical Coders (ICD-10) to support the Resource Management Division of medical facilities belonging to the SAMMC. This is a full - time position, 40 hours per week with benefits and a flexible schedule. you must be local to the San Antonio area to be able to attend meetings and training sessions.
* Review and verify component parts of medical records to ensure completeness and accuracy of diagnosis, operations, and special therapeutic procedures that must conform to Health Care Financing Administration and Department of Defense Coding Guidelines.
* Code principal diagnosis, co-morbidities, complications, therapeutic and diagnostic procedures, supplies, materials, injections and drugs, etc., with International Classification of Diseases, ICD-10-CM, Current Procedural Terminology (CPTs), Health Care Financing Administration Common Procedure Coding System (HCPCS - all levels), and Evaluation and Management (E&M), and any other coding classification systems that may be required by the Department of Defense.
* Identify the correct principal diagnosis and principal procedure based on physician's record documentation and established sequencing rules and guidelines.
* Ensure proper sequencing of ICD and CPT codes to obtain optimal resource allocation.
* Identify additional diagnoses/procedures to optimize reimbursement; i.e., complications, co-morbidities, therapeutic and diagnostic procedures.
* Analyze medical records for consistency and completeness for coding purposes using established criteria and regulations.
* Identify provider of record, examine all documents in the record for authorized signature and patient identification to ensure all documents contain sufficient documentation to support the diagnosis and treatment administered, and that results obtained are adequately described.
* Ensure records identified as billable records are prioritized and completed first, prior to working non-billable records.
* Maintain coding accuracy of 95%* or higher.
* Provide assistance in other areas of coding and data quality as requested and directed by management in order to meet contract requirements.
* Maintain an average of 95% completion rate of assigned outpatient records. Outpatient records will be completed within 5 business days from date of assignment.
* Perform data quality checks and ensure all work is performed according to qualitative and quantitative production standards.
Qualifications and Requirements:
* Must live in the San Antonio area and be available for training and meetings.
* 2 years of recent outpatient coding experience
* Must be certified by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) as a Registered Health Information Administrator (RHIA), Registered Health Information Technician (RHIT), Certified Coding Specialist (CCS), Certified Coding Specialist-Physician Based (CCS-P), Certified Coding Associate (CCA) or certified by the American Academy of Professional Coders (AAPC) as a Certified Professional Coder (CPC) or Certified Professional Coder Hospital (CPC-H).
* Maintain continuing education units (CEU) in accordance with the American Health Information Management Association and/or the American Academy of Professional Coders standards.
* Extensive knowledge and understanding in application of coding guidelines, including official coding guideline references.
* Knowledge of medical terminology, including anatomy and physiology, pharmaceuticals and abbreviations.
* Knowledge of legal and regulatory requirements of medical records.
* Knowledge of medical records procedures, regulations, and principles to carry out a variety of medical records functions such as analysis, coding, ensuring compliance, and compiling data.
* Knowledge of laws and regulations on the confidentiality of medical records.
* US Citizenship required
Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information.
online a www.cherokee-cnhs.com
Established in 2009, Cherokee Nation Healthcare Services (CNHS) provides medical supplies and a wide range of services, including financial recovery, patient appointing, recruiting, credentialing and placement of clinical, administrative and housekeeping personnel for numerous federal agencies and commercial clients. Wholly owned by the Cherokee Nation, CNHS is part of the Cherokee Nation Businesses family of companies.
We are an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected Veteran status, gender identity and sexual orientation. If you'd like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please visit the following two sites:
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may e-mail CNB.Compliance@cn-bus.com for assistance. This email address is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the application process or status.
For Pay Transparency Non Discrimination provision, click here: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/pay-transp_formattedESQA508c.pdf