Apprentice at Calpine
Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Jamaica, New York
Job Summary: (includes but is not limited to the following; other duties may be assigned):
Under the direction of the Lead Mechanic, assist in maintaining plant equipment as assigned.
* Participate in seasonal and other preventive maintenance on plant chilling equipment.
* Work within and insure strict adherence to all safety and environmental procedures.
* Perform preventive and corrective maintenance and assist in maintenance as directed by Lead Mechanic.
* Perform general housekeeping duties to maintain a clean and safe work environment.
* Receive, unload and correctly store parts and supplies in the plant as directed by Lead Mechanic.
* Assist the maintenance staff as assigned.
* Perform other tasks as directed by the Lead Mechanic or Maintenance Manager.
* H.S. degree or equivalent experience
* Must have an aptitude for equipment maintenance activities.
* Must have the ability to follow instructions and understand directions.
* Must meet (Complete) all the employee indoctrination requirements outlined in the JFK Energy Center Employee Qualification Program.
* Must be able to receive and execute orders with accuracy.
* Must be cooperative with those he/she contacts in this work (Co-Worker, Contractors)
* Must know the hazards involved and the safety precautions to be practiced in the maintenance of plant equipment and machinery. Work within and insure strict adherence to all safety procedures.
* The Apprentice must be able to climb at least 50 feet of rung ladder to access scaffolding, platforms, and other plant sites. Must be able to lift and carry heavy objects. Must be able to distinguish colors and perceive depth. Ability to remain alert during extended working hours.
* Ability to learn new skills and knowledge. Position requires extended working hours and varied shifts with the possibility of weekend and holiday work, as required by plant conditions.
* All employees will participate in the fitness for duty program, which includes pre-employment physical examination and drug screening.
The above statements reflect the general details considered necessary to describe the essential functions of the job and are not to be construed as a detailed description of all the work requirements that may be inherent in the position.
* Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.
* Calpine is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment and need special assistance or an accommodation to use our website or to apply for a position, please send an e-mail with your request to email@example.com. Determination on requests for reasonable accommodation are made on case-by-case basis.
* To know more about Equal Employment Opportunity Posters provided by OFCCP, please visit http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm