Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Statesville, North Carolina
Prepares and spreads custom applications of agronomy products on customers' fields, including dry and/or liquid fertilizer, crop protectants, lime and other treatment products. Performs general maintenance and repair work to keep equipment in good operating condition. Strictly adheres to established regulations and operating procedures while working independently at customer site.
Essential Job Functions -- complexity of essential job functions increases with grade level
- Prepare custom application of dry fertilizer, crop protectants and other treatment products according to customer work order. Transfer dry bulk products from trailers into bulk spreading vehicles. Handle, lift, load equipment and operate controls.
- Effectively operate bulk spreading vehicles including: Dry row spreader, John Deere dry body, Spreader Trucks and/or Terra-Gator. Apply dry fertilizer, crop protectants and other treatment products to customers' fields. Ensure complete coverage to designated areas. Check equipment for proper application and spread pattern and make corrections as needed.
- REQUIRED LICENSING: Licensing requirements may vary by location and are based on current state/federal regulations.
- Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL)
The essential functions below are required for all grades and locations:
- Maintain regular communication with Applicator team members and manager to ensure efficient scheduling and dispatching. Provide updates and input on equipment condition, supply of materials, productivity and other critical factors.
- Drive to customer locations utilizing Southern States Cooperative, Inc. (SSC) vehicles. Represent SSC in a positive and customer-focused manner through professional communication and proper treatment of customer land, property and all equipment.
- Properly utilize and maintain equipment. Perform routine preventive maintenance and repair to keep equipment in good working condition. Advise supervisor of complex equipment issues to ensure timely repair or replacement. Maintain up-to-date maintenance records for equipment and vehicle. Participate annually in equipment rodeos to ensure equipment quality as well as GrowMaster certification.
- Assist with taking physical inventory of fertilizers, crop protectants, and related products. Adhere to inventory control initiatives. May assist with shipping and/or receiving of various fertilizer and crop protectant products as determined by business need. Effectively utilize forklift and other material handling equipment according to facility procedures.
- Maintain a clean and orderly work area by keeping tools, equipment and supplies in proper places. Minimize waste and properly dispose of waste material. Perform all related cleaning of equipment, vehicle and work areas according to Housekeeping Plan, Manufacturer's Guidelines and SSC procedures.
- Participate in specialized training, certification courses, and/or meetings as required. Learn and develop skills to enhance job performance, including: applicator techniques, account scheduling and servicing, operations procedures and safety requirements.
- Work safely as to not cause harm to yourself, customer's property, co-workers, equipment, or inventory. Utilize Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as required. Operate all equipment and vehicles according to SSC policy and government regulations. Comply with OSHA regulations, Southern States Environmental Health and Safety (EHS) standards, work rules and policies.
- May be required to assist in warehouse or drive delivery routes for feed and farm supplies as determined by business need.
- Perform all other job functions as assigned.
Education: Requires a High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
GRADE 423 Experience:
Prefer previous experience applying fertilizer, crop protectants and other treatment products and/or working an agricultural environment. Prefer experience operating a forklift. Previous Southern States work experience a plus.
Requirements -- complexity of requirements increases with grade level
- This position requires the safe operation of a motor vehicle to perform essential job functions and mandatory compliance with the SSC motor vehicle safety policy
- Satisfactory completion of a basic Agronomy Short Course within designated period
- Satisfactory completion of one-on-one training with experienced applicator prior to unsupervised use of equipment
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of applicator equipment operation including precision ag software and hardware
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of SSC applicator procedures and government regulations
- Able to learn and effectively apply knowledge of how machines and processes work to troubleshoot and perform general maintenance and repair of applicator equipment
- Able to utilize GPS equipment
- Able to read and interpret operations manuals, manufacturer's instructions, diagrams, and formulas
- Able to work well independently and follow safety, quality control and operating procedures at all times
- Able to add, subtract, multiply, divide and calculate percentages in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions and decimals
- Attention to detail
- Able to communicate with customers in a professional manner
- Able to speak, read, write the English language in a proficient manner
- Able to work extended hours to meet business demands
Primarily performs essential job functions outdoors and may not be protected from weather conditions. Occasionally performs essential job functions indoors in an environment that is not climate controlled and experiences temperature and humidity swings.
Frequently exposed to hazards including:
- Moving mechanical parts and vehicles
- Noise levels where hearing protection is optional per PPE Plan
- Dust, odors, fumes and hazardous chemicals associated with application of dry and liquid fertilizers, crop protectants and other treatment products
- Vibrations, electrical current, lubricants and wet surfaces
Schedule requirements will vary during peak and off-peak production seasons. Extended hours and/or alternate work schedules are required and may vary by location. Ability to report to work on time and in adverse weather conditions is required.
Physical Activities & Requirements
This role requires continuous physical activity to perform essential job functions for the duration of the shift. At times extended hours are required. Description of physical activity is a general summary and may vary by location.
- Continuously bend, crouch, stoop; drive motorized equipment; finger and handle controls, tools and equipment; reach with arms and hands for extended periods while driving and operating equipment; stand and walk for extended periods on uneven surfaces; utilize hands in repetitive motion; utilize eye/hand/foot coordination; twist back and neck. Pull, push, lift, carry up to 50 pounds.
- Frequently balance, kneel, shovel, stack, sweep; climb steps in and out of vehicle throughout the shift; utilize feet in repetitive motion. Pull, push, lift, carry 50-80 pounds.
- Occasionally pull, push, lift, carry 80-100 pounds.
Must be able to hear vehicle and equipment sounds, co-workers and radio. Must be able to speak to co-workers and customers regarding production and safety.
Southern States Cooperative, Inc., is an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and does not discriminate against individuals based on their race, color, religion or belief, national or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran status, family medical history or genetic information, or any other status protected by federal, state or local laws, or regulations.