Posted in Other 26 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Baytown, Texas
The Respiratory Care Practitioner I (RCP) performs routine respiratory care procedures as assigned, varying in complexity. These include, but are not limited to: preparation, administration and monitoring of medication and treatment modalities and gas therapy, ventilator support, spirometry and assistance with bronchoscopy. May perform diagnostic testing of the cardiac respiratory system. As a member of the direct patient care team, provides direct assistance to physicians and other care health professionals with respiratory care related procedures within the scope of the professional licensure. Delivers exceptional patient care and adheres to standards and guidelines established by respiratory agencies and Houston Methodist to ensure optimal patient safety and customer service.
PATIENT AGE GROUP SERVED
Refer to departmental Scope of Service and Provision of Care plans, as applicable, for description of primary age groups and populations served by this job for the respective HM entity.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Promotes a positive work environment and contributes to a dynamic, team focused work unit that actively helps one other to achieve optimal department results. Collaborates with all members of the patient care team by actively communicating and reporting pertinent patient care information and data in a comprehensive manner.
* Serves as resource to co-workers, may teach and orient new respiratory care practitioners.
* Performs respiratory care as assigned to include but not limited to: arterial blood gas and analysis, pulse oximetry, spirometry and flow volume loops, lung volume determination, airway resistance measurement, breath diffusion capacity, bronchoprovocation testing, maximal inspiratory and expiratory pressures, bronchodilator administration, diagnostic radiology procedures. Prepares, administers and monitors treatment modalities and medication delivery. Implements, monitors and evaluates ventilator support.
* Performs other procedures and tests as needed and if assigned such as Electrocardiograms, Holters, and Arterial Blood Gas.
* Provides care for the physical needs of patients by executing various respiratory care concepts to maximize performance. This includes: positioning, physiology, procedure preparation, and technical factors. Modifies technical factors to achieve desired results and recognizes complications / limitations associated with certain procedures. Proactively identifies how to address these for optimum outcomes.
* Reports near misses and inputs errors promptly into PSN to improve processes and identify trends. Contributes to identification of corrective action and improvement activities and contributes to meeting departmental and hospital targets for quality and safety.
* Troubleshoots, calibrates and performs preventive maintenance and quality control on all equipment and analyzers per department guidelines, documenting activities. Assembles, prepares, cleans and operates bronchoscopy equipment, monitoring equipment and accessories in accordance with manufacturing recommendations and department guidelines. Reports malfunctions.
* Provides direct assistance to physicians, performing tests as ordered, assessing and assuring quality, acceptability and reliability of results; takes corrective action and involves others as needed toward achievement of this end.
* Accurately documents all patient care and respiratory related activities and procedures in the appropriate documentation system. Enters charges at the time service is delivered.
* Uses resources efficiently; does not waste supplies. Self-motivated to independently manage time effectively and prioritize daily tasks.
* Participates in departmental projects and shared governance activities.
* Seeks opportunities to expand learning beyond baseline competencies with a focus on continual development as a Respiratory Care Practitioner.
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive; the employee will also perform other reasonably related business/job duties as assigned. Houston Methodist reserves the right to revise job duties and responsibilities as the need arises.
Equal Employment Opportunity. Houston Methodist is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Equal employment opportunity is a sound and just concept to which Houston Methodist is firmly bound. Houston Methodist will not engage in discrimination against or harassment of any person employed or seeking employment with Houston Methodist on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, status as a protected veteran or other characteristics protected by law.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor priority referral Protected Veterans requested.