Posted in Art 11 days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: New York, New York
HGTV Magazine is looking for a copy editor to join its team. This position will work with the copy and research chief to copyedit all material—including print stories, the magazine’s digital edition, and advertorials—as well as handle some fact-checking responsibilities, with a concentration on verifying on-page credits for all featured merchandise. Must have intense attention to detail and strong, substantive editing skills. Candidates will be required to take an edit test. NOTE: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter and salary requirements.
• Edit all copy for grammar, spelling, usage, consistency, tone, accuracy, repetition, and style.
• Fact-check merchandise credits throughout the magazine, including on-page credits and the back-of-book sources section.
• Help manage credit sheets for all merchandise, including confirming product availability and other details with various brands’ PR teams.
• Work with editors and designers to resolve issues, fit copy, and perfect pages from the manuscript stage to the contract proof stage.
• Input and proofread requested editorial and production changes.
• Update and enforce house style.
• Manage back issue archiving and filing.
• Work with credits editors on in-book sources page(s).
• Assist copy and research chief in managing the fact-checking that is assigned to freelancers, including: communicating with/managing freelancers, handling workflow, vetting and inputting all research changes, and communicating said changes to editors.
• Bachelor's degree.
• Five or more years copyediting at a major consumer magazine or similar publication. Fact-checking experience a plus.
• Working knowledge of Words Into Type, The AP Stylebook, and InCopy.
• Background in editing shelter, lifestyle, and/or gardening copy preferred but not required.
• Experience with InDesign and minor production work preferred but not required.