The Research Foundation for The State University of New York (RF) is the largest, most comprehensive university-connected research foundation in the country. The RF manages SUNY's research portfolio providing essential sponsored programs administration and innovation support services to SUNY faculty and students performing research in life sciences and medicine; engineering and nanotechnology; physical sciences and energy; social sciences, and computer and information sciences. The RF moves SUNY ideas and inventions to the marketplace collaborating with business and industry to create new opportunity and new jobs for New York State.
The Research Foundation is committed to diversity and inclusion. We believe that promoting a diverse, inclusive working environment enhances productivity, creates personal and professional opportunities, unleashes each individual's full potential and fuels innovation.
The Research Foundation and its employees are committed to a culture of integrity and accountability, holding each other and the organization to the highest standards of ethical behavior.
Visit www.rfsuny.org and connect with the RF on Facebook. Learn about the Power of SUNY at www.suny.edu
ADDITIONAL CENTRAL OFFICE EMPLOYEE BENEFITS
As a learning organization, the Research Foundation encourages all employees to continue to grow and develop professionally. At the Research Foundation Central Office, employees are offered many opportunities for learning and development, including Professional Development Planning, a 12-month Mentoring Program, Tuition Reimbursement, Job Rotation, DiSC Profile Behavioral Assessment, Employee Engagement Teams, Job Skills Training, and an Employee Wellbeing Team.
Job Description: FUNCTION & SCOPE: A professional with strong analytical skills and prior experience working in corporate compliance to work in the Office of Compliance Services and support the implementation of the Research Foundation's Internal Controls Program. The incumbent will interact with all levels of the Research Foundation and SUNY constituents, and report to the Chief Compliance Officer. With a focus on internal controls and risk management, the individual will be responsible for implementing the RF's internal controls program; provide compliance advice, perspective, and analysis; interpret legal and regulatory obligations related to compliance matters; and assess and analyze compliance risks and trends.
Risk Management and Internal Control Activities:
• Evaluate the effectiveness of the company's internal control framework in addressing risks and accomplishing the company's goals and objectives • Manage the implementation of all aspects of the risk function, including implementation of processes, tools and systems to identify, assess, measure, manage, monitor and report risks • Coordinates with Internal Audit to conduct the enterprise risk assessment • Establish and monitor key risk indicators, and offer assistance with implementation of corrective actions plans to mitigate risks • Facilitates the preparation of the risk dashboard, risk heat maps, and related documentation for presentation to management and the Research Foundation Board of Directors • Conducts risk assessments and identifies controls in place to mitigate identified risks • Identifies control gaps and opportunities for improvement • Works with department VP's, Directors, functional owners, and campus stakeholders to provide advice on the Research Foundation's Internal Control Methodology, to identify and mitigate risks with appropriate controls and monitor and test controls • Documents all activities pursuant to appropriate standards and maintain reports of significant risks and recommendations • Provide training and technical support to management and employees regarding risk management strategies and programs • Monitor major and critical risk issues & manage the process for elevating control risks to more senior levels when appropriate • Monitor the implementation of controls or corrective actions
Audit Remediation Responsibilities:
• Reviews Internal Audit reports, letters, and related material and advise management on the implementation of recommended remedial action • Where required, coordinate the management response to an Internal Audit reports, letters, or related materials issued by the Internal Audit Department • Assist management remediate findings identified through the audit or monitoring processes to ensure identified deficiencies are addressed consistent with regulatory requirements, the internal control methodology, and relevant RF policies • Prepare reports for the Chief Compliance Officer, leadership, and the Board assessing remedial efforts
The Compliance Manager will perform other duties as assigned by the Chief Compliance Officer in support of the implementation of the Research Foundation's Compliance Program.
• 5 years experience in Audit, Compliance, Legal, Risk Management, Internal Controls or related fields • Ability to manage projects and supervise teams of individual contributors while adhering to the highest ethical standards • Ability to work independently with minimal supervision or direction • Ingenuity and persistence in order to obtain information not readily available with an eye for detail • Be adaptable and able to meet deadlines on assignments, juggle multiple demands and to work with all types of individuals • Strong skills in negotiating, relationship building, problem solving and time problem escalation • Excellent written and oral communication skills • Excellent time management and organizational skills • Detail oriented, but able to quickly understand the larger or strategic picture • Understanding of higher education administration and grants management
• Bachelors degree in accounting, business, finance or related degree, a Graduate degree in a related field, or a JD • (If a JD, admitted into the NY Bar) • (If auditor, CPA, CIA, or eligibility to sit for) • CFE, CCEP, or related certification • Proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, and Powerpoint)
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
As an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, The Research Foundation for SUNY will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, creed, religion, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, transgender status, age, national origin, marital status, citizenship, physical and mental disability, criminal record, genetic information, predisposition or carrier status, status with respect to receiving public assistance, domestic violence victim status, a disabled, special, recently separated, active duty wartime, campaign badge, Armed Forces service medal veteran, or any other characteristics protected under applicable law.
The Company will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant.
The Research Foundation for the State University of New York is not an agency or instrumentality of the State of New York. Employees of the Research Foundation for the State University of New York are not state employees, do not participate in any state retirement system, and do not receive state fringe benefits. The Research Foundation for the State University of New York operates under a contract with The State University of New York and receives no directly appropriated state funding.
Application Instructions: Applicants interested in applying MUST submit the following documents:
1. Resume/Cv 2. Cover Letter
After submitting your resume/CV, the subsequent pages enable you to upload additional documents including a cover letter.