Principal Design Engineer Gas Treating Join a team recognized for leadership, innovation and diversity
Honeywell Performance Materials and Technologies is a global leader in providing customers with high-performance solutions, including fluorine products; specialty films and additives; advanced fibers and composites; intermediates; specialty chemicals; electronic materials and chemicals; and technologies and materials for petroleum refining.
UOP LLC, headquartered in Des Plaines, Illinois, USA, is a leading international supplier and licensor of process technology, catalysts, adsorbents, process plants, and consulting services to the petroleum refining, petrochemical, and gas processing industries. UOP is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Honeywell International, Inc. and is part of Honeywell's Performance Materials and Technologies strategic business group. For more information, go to www.uop.com.
This is a fantastic opportunity for a Chemical Engineer in Gas Processing Engineering in UOP's Gas Processing & Hydrogen (GP&H) Engineering, Services & Equipment (ES&E) group. The Gas Processing Engineering group is responsible for the engineering design of a range of related gas processing technologies including Separex membrane systems and various solvents and adsorbent related technologies. Working in a project team environment to develop heat and material balances, process flow diagrams and piping and instrument diagrams, size and specify gas processing equipment including vessels, pumps, heat exchangers, compressors, piping and related equipment. The technologies involved will be diverse and cutting edge.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
• Provide process and project engineering design expertise for UOP's gas processing technologies.
• Maintain design tools, guidelines, documentation and checklists within assigned area and ensure that these are efficient and cost effective.
• Review and update all documentation in your assigned area, templates or tools, consistent with departmental renewal schedules and policies.
• Keep up to date with customer needs and with the technology within assigned area, communicate changes to others, and incorporate the relevant changes into UOP's design tools and methodology.
• Make recommendations to ES&E and/or development, as appropriate, for design and technical modifications to improve our offering. Maintain a list of improvements, MOI and patents.
• Participate in new technology development teams when assigned.
• When required, perform gas processing process design work as required to produce design packages working as a member of a design team and perform studies relating to revamp of existing processing units.
• When required, size process piping and run hydraulics and heat and mass balance calculations, develop project specifications including all major equipment and coordinate the development of the PFD and P&ID flow diagrams
• Complete assigned design work per the agreed budget and schedule. Keep Project Manager informed of progress on assigned tasks. Bring any problems with man-hour overruns or schedule delays to the Project Manager as early as possible.
• Be familiar with the work process and quality policy and apply as appropriate to each project.
• Provide Sales Support assistance as assigned, including recommendations on guarantees, pricing, proposal content generation and direct customer interface as appropriate.
• Provide guidance and information to less experienced engineers.
• Attend PFD and P&ID reviews, monitor that design guidelines are followed and use the reviews as a forum to capture and create innovative design changes.
• Review Revamp Studies in your technology area before they are released.
• Monitor that your processes are properly analyzed for hazards using HAZOP techniques.
• Participate in the resolution of problems in operating units.
• Assume a leadership role in the group.
• When required, contribute and participate in customer meetings.
• Participate in equipment networks.
10 Knowledge of safety procedures and practices 10 People management and resource planning 50 Drive culture of continuous improvement 20 Collaborate with customers and cross functional teams 10 Participate in project teams YOU MUST HAVE
Bachelors Degree in Chemical Engineering
Minimum of 12 years of design engineering experience in the gas processing, refining or petrochemical industry is required.
WE VALUE • Strong written, verbal and interpersonal communication skills. • Effective project management and execution skills.
• At least 5 years experience in project design, start-up, troubleshooting and field checkouts is desired.
• Simulation experience with both ASPEN and UNISIM is desired.
• Ability to work independently as well as in a team based environment.
• Ability to travel globally up to 25% on an annual basis.
• Good analytical skills and sound judgment.
• Technical or application mindset.
• Strong presentation skills including MS PowerPoint, leading meetings, customer presentations.
• A broad knowledge of principles, practices and procedures. Ability to complete moderately complex assignments.
Location: 50 E Algonquin Rd, Des Plaines, IL 60017-5016 USA
Honeywell is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will be considered without regard to age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, affectional or sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, nationality, sex, or veteran status.