Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: Honolulu, Hawaii
The Aquarist 3 rated associate is responsible for developing/maintaining animal enrichment program(s) when necessary as determined by the Curator Manager. Suggested protocols and/or programs must meet the approval of the Curator manager for content, method and implementation.
The Aquarist 3 rated associate is responsible for developing public presentation to hotel guests and public on an ongoing or as-needed basis according to Hotel or departmental manager discretion. Suggested protocols and/or programs must meet the approval of the Curator manager for content, method and implementation.
The Aquarist 3 rated associate is responsible for maintaining food supplies and food inventory and food supplements for the animals cared for by the Curator department.
The Aquarist 3 rated associate is responsible for anticipating both physical stores and nutritional needs of animals cared for by the Curator department.
The Aquarist 3 rated associate is responsible for developing food preparation protocols when necessary. They will work closely with the department manager in developing SOP s for the preparation of daily feed, storage of feed, cleaning of food prep work area, etc .
Aquarist 3 rated associate shall coordinate with manager and/or supervisor to insure a schedule that insures all Aquarists maintain uniform enrichment program protocols in their absence.
* Follow and enforce all Highgate Hotel hotel credit policies.
* Have knowledge of and assist in all emergency procedures as required.
* Be able to perform, complete and ensure that all tasks and duties on the shift checklist are completed in a timely and efficient manner.
* Be involved in departmental meeting, planning and execution.
* Help maintain productivity levels at or above budgeted standards.
* Assist in training and cross training of new hires and current employees on a regular basis.
* Able to perform daily backwashing requirements in pumproom along with basic maintenance and checklist of that area
* Follow all departmental requirements, especially in terms of personal safety of associates.
* Able to safely complete @ 20 minute feed dives and maintenance/cleaning dives of up to 60 minutes on each scheduled shift.
* Dive safely at all times.
* Report immediately any situation that could lead to or is seen as immediately hazardous.
* Prepare fish food for feed dives and subsequently store food properly.
* Maintain standards of cleanliness as described by departmental protocol.
* Perform up to three dives each scheduled shift while always maintaining as awareness of decompression status as defined by their SCUBA training agency.
* Perform out-of-water assigned tasks as required.
* Assist in feed/maintenance of any and all holding, quarantine or display aquariums within the hotel.
* Maintain up-to-date input of all data in all logs as required.
* Participate in new projects as needed by hotel operations or as assigned or requested by department manager.
* Attend meetings in accompaniment or in place of department manager as necessary or required.
* Insure time schedules, ordering, receiving, scheduling of tasks, inspection of daily check listed items and input of daily data is maintained.
Education & Experience:
* High School diploma or equivalent required.
* Certified by a recognized SCUBA certification agency as Open Water diver or equivalent. Higher dive ratings are a plus.
* College course work in related field helpful, i.e. Marine Biology, Zoology, Ocean Sciences, etc
* Previous experience in large aquarium setting helpful.
* Previous animal training experience helpful.
* Previous work in quarantine areas helpful.
* Must have a valid driver's license for the applicable state.
* Must pass SCUBA physical and drug usage test prior to employment.
* Exerting up to 20 pounds of force occasionally or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects.
* Must be able to occasionally lift 50 lbs safely.
* Ability to stand, walk, climb stairs, kneel, SCUBA dive, swim, breathe-hold dive, during entire shift.
* Familiarity with current rulings of Union contract.
* Maintain a warm and friendly demeanor at all times.
* Must be able to effectively communicate both verbally and written, with all level of employees and guests in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service oriented manner.
* Must be effective at listening to, understanding, and clarifying concerns raised by employees and guests.
* Must be able to multitask and prioritize departmental functions to meet deadlines.
* Approach all encounters with guests and employees in an attentive, friendly, courteous and service-oriented manner.
* Attend all hotel required meetings and trainings as required.
* Maintain regular attendance in compliance with Highgate Hotel Standards, as required by scheduling, which will vary according to the needs of the hotel.
* Maintain high standards of personal appearance and grooming, which includes wearing the proper uniform and nametag.
* Comply with Highgate Hotel Standards and regulations to encourage safe and efficient hotel operations.
* Maximize efforts towards productivity, identify problem areas and assist in implementing solutions.
* Must be effective in handling problems, including anticipating, preventing, identifying and solving problems as necessary.
* Must be able to understand and apply complex information, data, etc. from various sources to meet appropriate objectives.
* Must be able to cross-train in all areas of Curator Department.
* Must be able to maintain confidentiality of information.
* Must be able to show initiative, including anticipating guest or operational needs and needs of department.
* Perform other duties as requested by management.
Highgate Hotels and its subsidiary companies will provide equal employment opportunities to all applicants without regard to an applicant s race, color, age, religion, sex, national origin, disability, genetic information, uniformed services, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or any other legally protected classification. Highgate Hotels will provide reasonable accommodations to allow an applicant to participate in the hiring process (e.g., accommodations for a test or job interview) if so requested.