Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
THIS POSITION IS COVERED BY THE TEAMSTERS COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT
Minimum - $15.23/hr.
Maximum - $25.04/hr.
Under the direct supervision of the RN or Patient Care Manager, performs duties of daily patient care which include bath and assistance with activities of daily living, data collection on weight, temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure measurements. Performs non-sterile treatments, phlebotomy (depending upon area of assignment) and EKG's.
Patient and family centered care (PFCC) at YNHH is demonstrated by working with patients and their families based on the 4 principles of PFCC: participation, dignity and respect, information sharing, and collaboration. This includes providing service excellence by creating a great \\"First Impression\\" by demonstrating exemplary customer service skills for all customer groups including patients, families/friends, physicians, staff and support department personnel.
Adheres to the \\"I Am YNHH\\" service excellence pledge and promotes a positive work environment.
* 1. Conducts daily patient care activities including activities of daily living and comfort measures.
* 1.1. Performs complete or partial bath.
* 1.2. Assists with oral hygiene.
* 1.3. Assists with incontinent care.
* 1.4. Ambulates, transfers and positions patients as appropriate.
* 1.5. Feeds and/or sets up for meals, and replenishes tube-feeding bags.
* 1.6. Gives back rubs.
* 1.7. Changes bed linen.
* 1.8. Provides nourishment and fills water pitchers as appropriate.
* 1.9. Answers call lights promptly and courteously for all patients.
* 1.10. Maintains, clean, orderly patient environment.
* 1.11. Provides bedpans and urinals, and assists patients to bathroom.
* 1.12. Empties drainage bags, including ostomy bags as appropriate.
* 1.13. Administers enemas as directed by RN.
* 1.14. Performs OR preps for patients scheduled for surgery or procedures.
* 1.15. Transports patients as required.
* 2. Collects Data.
* 2.1. Obtains weights, temperature, pulse, respiration and blood pressure measurements, including orthostatic parameters as appropriate.
* 2.2. Computes and records food and fluid intake and output.
* 2.3. Observes IV site fore redness, swelling and pain.
* 2.4. Obtains oxygen saturation measure using pulse oximeter.
* 2.5. Performs hemocult testing on specimens.
* 2.6. Reports results of above to supervising RN.
* 3. Performs non-sterile treatments.
* 3.1. Applies cold compresses.
* 3.2. Provides post-mortem care.
* 3.3. Foley catheter care.
* 3.4. Applies ace bandages, elastic stocking, brace and splints.
* 3.5. Provides traction set-up and adjustments.
* 3.6. Applies non-sterile dressings.
* 3.7. Sitz baths.
* 3.8. Assists patient with turning, coughing and deep breathing.
* 3.9. Basic physical therapy treatments.
* 3.10. Ostomy care.
* 3.11. Hypothermia blanket set-up.
* 4. Performs specimen collection/procedures.
* 4.1. Performs phlebotomy (depending upon area of assignment.)
* 4.2. Uses computer system as required to document and print labels.
* 4.3. Verifies patient identification by checking ID bracelet.
* 4.4. Uses correct technique and procedure in collecting specimens, including correct collection tubes and obtaining correct amount of blood as specified on Ulticare.
* 4.5. Performs finger stick glucose test.
* 4.6. Records EKGs and inputs all appropriate information into computerized EKG machine prior to procedure (name, unit number, sex age, location, etc.)
* 4.7. Uses EKG equipment correctly and tests prior to using.
* 4.8. Uses correct lead placement and application, shaving the areas as needed.
* 4.9. Reviews recording for artifact, checks result against normal parameters and re-records as necessary.
* 4.10. Cleans and disinfects equipment after each use.
* 4.11. Tags malfunctioning equipment as appropriate.
* 4.12. Monitors oxygen flow according to physician's orders reporting problems/change to RN.
* 4.13. Monitors continuous suction.
* 4.14. Sets up cooling blanket.
* 4.15. Obtains non-sterile urine specimen from foley catheter.
* 5. Uses effective interpersonal skills in all interactions.
* 5.1. Demonstrates respect for the other person in all interactions.
* 5.2. Maintains a calm demeanor in problematic situations.
* 5.3. Works effectively with other health care providers.
* 5.4. Is helpful and cooperative with patients, visitors and all staff.
* 5.5. Always introduces self before providing care.
* 6. Maintains active involvement in all educational activities related to role.
* 6.1. Attends all mandatory inservices.
* 6.2. Attends other educational offerings as assigned.
* 7. Performs other responsibilities as requested by Patient care manager.
* 7.1. Is flexible with time as assignment changes to meet unit needs.
* 7.2. Assists in orienting new clinical technicians.
* 7.3. Performs other designated responsibilities which are specific to assigned unit.
High school diploma or equivalent. Must be a CNA or complete certification prior to completion of orientation or has completed one clinical nursing school rotation and currently enrolled in a nursing program.
One (1) year patient care experience (EKG, Phlebotomy, Nurse Aide, Nurse Technician) preferred.