Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values-integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Under the supervision of the Patient Services Manager and the direction of the Clinical Nurse, performs specific duties that support patient care. These duties include direct and indirect patient care activities which are essential to providing comprehensive care to patients.
Patient and family centered care (PFCC) at YNHH is demonstrated by working with patients and their families based on the 4 principles of PFCC: participation, dignity and respect, information sharing, and collaboration. This includes providing service excellence by creating a great \\"First Impression\\" by demonstrating exemplary customer service skills for all customer groups including patients, families/friends, physicians, staff and support department personnel.
Adheres to the \\"I Am YNHH\\" service excellence pledge and promotes a positive work environment.
* 1. Under the direction of the Clinical Nurse, engages in selected tasks and activities as directed to obtain and report information to assist the nurse in the assessment, planning and evaluation of patient needs, treatment and response to treatment.
* 1.1. Obtains and records vital signs as delegated by the RN
* 1.2. Obtain numeric pain score with each vital signs as delegated by the RN
* 1.3. Obtains point of care testing as delegated by the RN: blood glucose, hemocult, gastrocult, multistix, and urine HCG as appropriate for patient care unit.
* 1.4. Documents data collected on appropriate forms (daily patient flowsheet)
* 1.5. Measures, records and documents intake and output accurately.
* 1.6. States normal parameters of treatments/procedures carried out in the role. Reports to the nurse any observations, patient behaviors and other indicators which fall outside the stated normal parameters or directions given by nurse.
* 1.7. Enters/retrieves information accurately and in a timely manner into CCSS.
* 2. Under the direction of the Clinical Nurse, performs technical duties and selected treatments, procedures and activities which contribute to safe and efficient delivery of patient care.
* 2.1. Obtains a 12-lead ECG and continuous Lead II with correct patient information entered.
* 2.2. Initiates and discontinues telemetry as delegated by the RN where appropriate
* 2.3. Assists in care of patient requiring IV therapy
* 2.4. Performs phlebotomy on appropriate patients as delegated by RN after successfully completing phlebotomy training.
* 2.5. Feeds patient safely
* 2.6. Performs personal care and oral hygiene for patient
* 2.7. Performs and/or describes post mortem care
* 2.8. Assists with patient toileting/elimination
* 2.9. Safely performs oral suctioning
* 2.10. Carries out PCA responsibilities related to patient emergencies.
* 2.11. Accompanies patients to other areas of the hospital when patient interest warrants and as requested by the nurse.
* 3. Effectively assists in the care of patients with consideration for the safety of key populations as appropriate.
* 3.1. Collaborates with members of the multidisciplinary team offering suggestions on addressing patient/family needs, taking into account cultural and/or individual diversity and demonstrates sensitivity to these aspects of care delivery.
* 3.2. Follows the patient care plan preserving the patients' safety, dignity and autonomy.
* 3.3. Assists in the care of patients of key clinical populations.
* 3.4. Assists in the care of patients at risk or with actual skin breakdown
* 3.5. Collaborates with nurse to assist in the development and ongoing evaluation of the patient's plan of care and development of discharge plan.
* 3.6. Assists in the care of patients with restraints
* 3.7. Assists in the care of patients that may be at risk for falls
* 4. Effectively and professionally communicates and interacts with patients, families, and staff.
* 4.1. Covers the Information Associate (IA ) desk in the absence of the IA under the direction of the PSM or designee.
* 4.2. Participates in receiving patient report at the beginning of each shift and throughout the shift as needed
* 4.3. Demonstrates ability to organize and prioritize patient care in a timely manner
* 4.4. Reports inadequate supplies, faulty equipment, and environmental problems to appropriate person.
* 4.5. Handles all patient valuables and clothing as per hospital/unit policy.
* 4.6. Helps to keep all clinical areas neat and clean.
* 5. Maintains clinical competency in areas of responsibility and participates in unit activities that promote a cohesive staff group.
* 5.1. Attends all mandatory continuing education classes.
* 5.2. Participates in unit and/or service-related continuing education classes.
* 5.3. Attends and actively participates in staff meetings. If unable to attend, accepts responsibility for reading and initialing staff meeting minutes.
* 5.4. Assists the nurse, as required, in supporting an environment that values student learning and precepting.
* 5.5. Assumes responsibility for continued learning and skill development by discussing and working with Nurse Manager on setting clinical goals.
* 5.6. Receives nursing supervision as required and seeks supervision from Clinical Nurse and Nurse Manager as needed.
* 5.7. Participates with healthcare team in creating a positive work environment with a positive attitude about the work place
* 5.8. Demonstrates positive customer service skills
* 5.9. Communicates in a respectful and effective manner with healthcare team, families and patients
EMT highly preferred
A minimum of a high school diploma or GED; and CNA or other educational equivalent, i.e. Medical Assistant, Phlebotomy Technician, Student Nurse who has completed one semester of clinical experience. Additional experience preferred will be specified depending on placement.
Either (A) Two (2) years relevant direct patient care experience as dictated by placement. or (B) Education as stated
above. All candidates must successfully complete the Patient Care Associate Competency Based Training and/or the unit based Emergency Department Technical Competency Based Training and Practicum.
Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with patient, families, peers, and supervisor. Must display the ability to prioritize and adjust work plans based on the needs of the patient, the unit, and the patient care team. Must display the ability to accept direction and work as a member of a unified team.
Accountable for following all departmental and hospital policies and procedures. Able to carry out treatment plans, including making suggestions to improve overall patient care. Participate as an active member of the multi-disciplinary team. Demonstrates sensitivity and understanding of the individual patient and their age specific treatment plan.
Coordinate and respond to both the needs of the patient and the patient care team.
Able to lift a minimum of 40 pounds. Ability to perform tasks of physical endurance and dexterity as required by placement. Consistent use of proper body mechanics.