Posted in Other 26 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: New York City, New York
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED IN WARSAW, NEW YORK.
WHO WE ARE:
Quality Milk Production Services (QMPS) is part of the Animal Health Diagnostic Center (AHDC), which is an AAVLD accredited veterinary diagnostic laboratory located within the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University. We are committed to improving the health of all animals and the work we perform helps protect and improve public health, promote environmental stewardship, and foster economic growth.
WHAT WE DO:
QMPS serves the dairy industry of New York State by promoting the production of high quality milk through the control of mastitis, and the avoidance of antibiotic residues in milk through field and laboratory diagnostic evaluations and recommendations.
Program goals are achieved by providing expertise in diagnostic services, milking management evaluation, therapy recommendations, mastitis prevention, education, and research. The program also provides current information on new mastitis control technology and is a source of information on new state and national programs to improve milk quality and food safety associated with mastitis and milk hygiene.
WHAT YOU WILL BE DOING:
* You will be part of the QMPS team that performs surveys on dairy farms in New York and neighboring states, collects milk samples, performs subjective evaluations of various environmental and clinical conditions in a consistent manner, and evaluates milking system performance
* Discuss with and advise dairy farmers on sanitation, operating procedures, and other aspects of herd management that are related to mastitis control; help determine the appropriate services to fit client needs and communicate benefits; present information on other educational programs that may benefit dairy producers in the operation of their farms
* Pick up samples from various locations, reconcile samples with submission forms (both paper and electronic), deliver samples to lab within specified time period, and plate samples according to SOPs; identify potential new clients to help expand services; improve/define pick-up routes, frequency, and culture result reporting
* Participate in cross training across the QMPS program
* Assist with general housekeeping duties, including data entry, disinfecting work areas, performing equipment maintenance procedures, preparing samples for testing and managing sample storage
* Provide exceptional customer service to clients and successfully build relationships with producers, veterinarians, researchers and colleagues across the organization.
* QMPS team members proactively assist where needed to ensure our clients receive accurate results in a timely manner.
* QMPS strives to promote ongoing learning, and a positive work environment.
WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATIONS?
* You have, at the minimum, an associate s degree in a science related field, with up to one year of experience working around cows.
* You must enjoy working both in a laboratory and on a farm around cows, where strong attention to detail and the ability to keep complete and accurate records is obligatory.
* Irregular hours and frequent travel are the norm in this position. You must be able to travel, occasionally overnight, and frequently start your day before 5am.
* Basic computer skills are necessary, as you will be using various software programs to perform the job!
* It would be great if you have experience working within an established quality system, however we are willing to train if you are willing to learn.
* Similar to the field of human medicine, you will have access to confidential client information and must have the utmost discretion.
* You have a bachelor s degree in animal science, and at least two years of experience in dairy farm operation, involving herd health, and milking equipment function.
* Additionally, you have basic knowledge of Hispanic culture with the ability to communicate in Spanish.
* It would be ideal if you also have familiarity with applied research and quality assurance programs.
* Working in the diagnostic laboratory is very rewarding especially for those who enjoy learning new skills, understand the importance of teamwork, work well under pressure, and find fulfillment in task completion.
* This is a physically demanding job which requires working directly with dairy cows, in addition to sitting for extended periods in vehicles and at a computer; however, we understand the importance of ergonomics and do our very best to reduce the potential for injury.
* We do require all employees receive a vaccination for rabies, which will be paid for by the organization after you begin.
* This is a full-time, 39-hour per week, position with irregular hours Monday through Friday; holiday and weekend rotations may be required based on business needs.
* This is a one-year term position; reappointment will be contingent upon performance, funding, and departmental need.
WHAT IS IN IT FOR YOU:
* Cornell University is a wonderful place to build your career! We provide great benefits, including educational benefits, access to a plethora of wellness programs, employee discounts with many local and national companies, health care plans, enrollment in New York State Employee s Retirement System (NYSERS), and very generous vacation, and health and personal leave accruals. Learn more about the amazing benefits by clicking here!
* Working at the College of Veterinary Medicine also comes with additional benefits, including access to onsite massages and exercise classes, an active Staff Council dedicated to maintaining a positive work environment, and an overall welcoming community interested in helping its members be successful.
HOW TO APPLY:
Navigate to Workday, complete your profile information, and make sure to attach your COVER LETTER AND RESUME!
Relocation assistance is not available for this position. Visa sponsorship is not available for this position.
UNIVERSITY JOB TITLE:Program/Extension Aide II
PAY RATE TYPE:Hourly
CONTACT NAME:Carolyn Chow
NUMBER OF OPENINGS:1
If you currently work at Cornell University, please exit this website and log in to Workday using your Net ID and password. Select the Career icon on your HOME dashboard to view jobs at Cornell.
ONLINE SUBMISSION GUIDELINES:
Most positions at Cornell will require you to apply online and submit both a resume/CV and cover letter. You can upload documents either by dragging and dropping them into the dropbox or by using the upload icon on the application page. For more detailed instructions on how to apply to a job at Cornell, visit How We Hire on the HR website.
If you require an accommodation for a disability in order to complete an employment application or to participate in the recruiting process, you are encouraged to contact Cornell University's Office of Workforce Policy and Labor Relations at voice (607) 255-6866, fax (607) 255-0298, or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants that do not have internet access are encouraged to visit your local library, or local Department of Labor. You may also visit the office of Workforce Recruitment and Retention Monday - Friday between the hours of 8:30 a.m. 4:30 p.m. to use a dedicated workstation to complete an online application.
NOTICE TO APPLICANTS:
Please read the required Notice to Applicants statement by CLICKING HERE. This notice contains important information about applying for a position at Cornell as well as some of your rights and responsibilities as an applicant.
Diversity and Inclusion are a part of Cornell University s heritage. We are a recognized employer and educator valuing AA/EEO, Protected Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities. Cornell University is an innovative Ivy League university and a