Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Valley, Nebraska
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This position is responsible for managing Engineering team activities necessary to complete regular customer requested products in the lighting, traffic and communication market channels, the position is responsible for coordination with domestic sales, marketing and product management groups to insure the Engineering and Drafting activities align with the market activities and goals. Specifically, the incumbent is responsible to: manage the teams that develops calculations and structural designs, support sales engineering activities, support product launches to our customers, creation of customer drawings and production prints, technical support for product selection to support quote and orders and coordination of external engineering resources.
For existing products, the position is responsible to support cost reduction efforts, efficiency improvements, and product line extension. Specifically, the incumbent is responsible to: manage processes, prioritize work to allow both custom product and existing product priorities to be accomplished. In addition, the position is responsible for transforming a multi-site, disconnected Engineering team to a team leveraging resources as needed to support customer demands. Driving a culture of collaboration and common processes while maintaining value to the customer.
The position is responsible for facilitating the Sales Engineering effort. This support is for technical presentations and specification updates as identified with the Sales team and market opportunities. In addition, the incumbent will focus on building relationships and a network within the industry to maintain involvement within technical committees and support the Engineering Expertise focus of Valmont. The incumbent is responsible to drive the adoption of new ideas and operating methods in the design groups.
The position focus is to support engineering leaders to organize, prioritize and fulfill requests and needs of the product lines. Organizing and empowering a 50+ person Engineering and Drafting team to maintain design expertise in each market Valmont supports.
The position is also responsible for the improvements to the systems and processes that provide a more efficient customer experience, including the areas of Drafting and Engineering. This position is aligned with the Senior Director of Customer Service when working with the other Managers of these functional areas. In addition, this individual will work with the Engineering teams throughout ESS as opportunities arise. This is to support technical improvements, organization changes, or product line expansions.
Travel expectations to be up to 30% domestic and 10% international.
· Manage the quote and order engineering and drafting for the Lighting, Traffic and Communication product lines across North America.
· Provide design, reliability, and cost reduction support for existing products.
· Provide Engineering support to complete Custom Projects and identify when to pass them Product Development due to complexity.
· Provide Leadership for international drafting resources,
· Drive the use of modern engineering, drafting and order entry tools and process/system improvements to adapt to the changing market environment.
· Support the quality process within the Administrative process and maintain a general overview of the quality results for the USLT organization.
· Participate in activities to support Engineering advancements and improvements to support the ESS organization
· Participate, taking a leadership role at times, in targeted initiatives that achieve success for divisional goals.
Other Important Details about the Role:
This position is subject to the policies and procedures established by corporate and divisional groups including:
* Corporate & Divisional HR
* Corporate and Divisional finance/accounting
* Corporate purchasing
The incumbent is expected to manage a controllable expense budget to the level agreed to during the annual budget planning cycle, or to revised levels as later directed by the Division President. The incumbent needs to be capable of working with limited direction and oversight from the Division President. This position has significant interaction with other members of the Division President's staff.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate:
· Bachelor's degree in Civil or Mechanical Engineering + 10 years relevant work experience
· Experience managing engineering personnel and teams across multiple locations
· Professional Engineering license
· Knowledge of modern engineering tools & techniques including: AutoCad, FMEA, Finite element modeling, SolidWorks, etc.
· Experience with development of Engineering systems to improve throughput and improve quality
· Demonstrated experience of empowering functional leaders to drive improvements that increase value to the customer
· Demonstrated success of networking within trade organizations to support Engineering developments
· Previous examples of organization goal developments with KPI metrics to show success
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Ten years of experience in product engineering with experience in new product development and sustaining engineering activities utilizing AASHTO and/or TIA design codes
· Leading organizational change during a PDM and 3D system implementation
· Experiencing with implementing processes to separate a configure-to-order and engineer-to-order workflow
· Lean certifications
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. No travel requirements for this position. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 15 pounds in working with large files, binders, and computer equipment. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.