Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Careerbuilder
Location: Valley, Nebraska
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
A Brief Summary of This Position:
This Individual Contributor position is responsible for the design and drafting of products involving the origination and development of concepts and presenting new product designs to position Valmont as the pole manufacturer in innovation for the Lighting, Traffic & Communication Structures business in our Global Engineered Support Structures Division. He or she will communicate and interact with a variety of individuals and departments on a global basis including sales, marketing, engineering, manufacturing, and purchasing. The Product Designer is accountable for presenting design ideas based on factors such as appealing appearance, design-function relationships, serviceability, materials and methods of engineering, application, budget, price, methods of production, market characteristics, and client specifications. The incumbent will support the Valmont Sales staff (Regional Sales Managers, Agents) in presenting new product offerings and building strong relationships with landscape designers, lighting designers, Architect and Engineering firms, developers, municipalities, fixture OEM's, and other clients to establish design concepts and promote Valmont's new product offerings. The incumbent keeps the supervisor informed as to present and planned sales activities for the market and to any changes, trends, ideas, and activities that will facilitate the timely formulation of policies and programs leading to the expansion of new product sales.
· This position reports to the Custom Project Supervisor and has no direct or indirect reports
· This role requires up to 10% travel (domestic and international), including overnight stays
· Carries out design/drafting assignments of a routine to moderately complex nature creating the look and function of new products according to customer needs utilizing a variety of 2D and 3D modeling tools to create marketing illustrations, street view renderings and other drawings
· Present designs to customers or design committees for approval, and discuss need for modification
· Confer with product development, engineering, marketing, production, sales departments, or with customers, to establish and evaluate design concepts for manufactured products
· Research production specifications, costs, production materials and manufacturing methods, and provide cost estimates
· Coordinate the fabrication of models or samples and the drafting of working drawings and specification sheets from sketches
· Modify and refine designs, using working models, to conform to customer specifications, production limitations, or changes in design trends
· Participate in manufacturing procedures involving new designs that will improve operations and product quality
· Investigate product characteristics such as the product's safety and handling qualities, its market appeal, how efficiently it can be produced, and ways of distributing, using and maintaining it
· Participate in new product planning or market research, including studying the potential need for new products
· Create and support new product marketing efforts with high quality, eye-catching sales presentation and collateral materials
· Attend and participate in tradeshows, when required
· Assist drafting, administrative improvement and productive development departments with any overflow custom 3D images or modeling requests
Other Important Details about the Role:
This position works closely with the Custom Project Team, Product Development Drafters and Engineers supporting 3D modeling for part costing, tool drawings and first article inspections as well as Project Administration Teams Technical Information Analyst for part reference documents and engineering change notices. In addition, this position aids in the part fit checks and deco part searches for Customer Service. Also assists other LTS site locations with design work, tool development, production drawings, manufacturing process input, first article inspections, and modeling assistance for urethane castings.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
· Preferred Bachelors with 3+ years relevant experience or Associates Degree with 5+ years relevant experience or 7+ years of relevant experience
· Demonstrated strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
· Drawing ability to visually communicate concepts to customers and internal resources
· Strong mechanical and spatial aptitude with the ability to understand the physical requirements of a product concept
· Demonstrates the ability to adapt designs aesthetically and proportionally
· Proficiency with MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word)
· Strong working knowledge of 3D Computer-Aided Design Software
· Strong working knowledge with AutoCAD
· Experience with rendering software
· Travel up to 10% of the time. May include international travel.
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
· Bachelor's Degree in Industrial Design, Lighting Design or Landscape Architecture
· Proficiency with Inventor and Solid Works
· Proficiency with Alias Studio, Showcase, Illustrator, Photoshop
· Proficiency with AutoCAD
· Work experience in Product design
· Conversant in illumination concepts and theory for interacting with architects, developers, and lighting consultants
Working Environment and Physical Efforts:
Work is typically performed in an office setting. The incumbent is regularly required to sit for extended periods of time, as well as talk and listen on the phone and in personal conversations or meetings. Environment is fast paced and demanding most of the time. Travel requirements up to 10% for this position and will be both domestic and international travel. The employee frequently is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel and reach with hands and arms while working in the office with various files and forms and while working on the computer. The employee is occasionally required to move about the office and on occasion meet in the production areas adhering to PPE and safety requirements. Incumbent must utilize proper ergonomic safeguards such as monitor height and positions, keyboard location and height and proper wrists rests. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move parts up to the safety limit weight of 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception.
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment, call (402) 963-1115 or email EEOCompliance@Valmont.com.