Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: New York City, New York
Spectrum Networks is looking for enthusiastic, talented and driven individuals to join the best and brightest in gathering, producing and delivering stories that make a difference within a 24-hour breaking news environment! Our commitment is to engage viewers with relevant, timely news that's important to the local communities we serve.
Who we are: Spectrum Networks is a series of 27 hyper-local news and 9 regional sports networks owned and operated by Charter Communications, Inc. Spectrum Networks seeks to provide the most essential local news and information, cultivating relevant and thoughtful conversations that foster informed and engaged communities.
The Environment: Spectrum News is a 24-hour breaking news network which requires employees who are flexible and available to work various shift, including early morning, late evenings, weekends and holidays.
Being on our team means You re ready to inspire and be inspired! You re passionate, creative and highly technical, driven to flourish in a competitive, fast-paced environment. You're fiercely accurate, with a desire to leverage your knowledge, skills and abilities to share news stories to viewers in our local communities. You're nimble, having the ability to pivot in an ever-changing workflow. You are a team player with a positive attitude and strong interpersonal skills. You have the ability to multi-task, meet tight deadlines and remain calm under pressure.
What we re looking for: The Writer prepares, writes and copy edits assigned stories into scripts in Spanish. Also edits audio and video to be presented on the air. Updates copy and audio/video as story changes. Works with reporters, producers, and assignment desk to produce factual, clear, interesting news stories that the viewing public can understand. Writes scripts and edits audio/video in a timely fashion. Must be bilingual (Spanish/English).
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
* Reads local newspapers and watches other local TV stations to keep in touch with NY news
* Prepares news stories based on information provided by the assignment desk, wire service, newspapers, press releases, NY1 Archives and video tape shot in the field
* Adds video, sound and graphics
* Writes clear, simple scripts in Spanish for anchors to read
* Copy edits scripts correcting for accuracy, factual content, pronunciation, grammar and spelling
* Updates scripts as news changes
* Provides scripts in a timely fashion
* Suggests ways to improve the process
* Logs incoming video and audio for use in news wheel
* Edits video for anchor voice-overs and sound on tapes using current and future technology
* Works with reporters to prepare voice over material and sound for their live field reports
* Checks all equipment
* Reads scopes and audio levels
* Sets machines to required levels
* Makes certain all video and sound meet quality standards
* Other duties as assigned
* Must be available to work all shifts including early morning, late evening, weekends and holidays
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Must be bilingual (Spanish/ English)
* Video Production experience
* Experience writing copy, editing, shooting, collecting elements and putting packages together
* Experience researching, creating news stories and making basic editorial decisions on what is a newsworthy story
Education & Experience:
* College degree; Degree in Journalism, Communication or English preferred
* 1-2 years newsroom experience: internship, field work, or freelance
Our Culture: Every employee is an influencer and culture keeper. We expect respectful communication (despite pressure), openness to feedback, an eagerness to learn, and an overall positive attitude! Roles may require the following:
* Overtime may be required to meet deadlines
* Varying schedule due to, breaking news and/or daily news coverage requirements
* Provide 24x7, 365 days per year, on-call support. May entail phone or physical presence at the facility for equipment failure or other disasters. This includes, but is not limited to equipment and power failures, loss of contracted services, storms or severe weather, and schedule conflicts
* Participation in an established on-call rotation
The Spectrum brand is powered and innovated by Charter Communications. Charter Communications reaffirms its commitment to providing equal opportunities for employment and advancement to qualified employees and applicants. Individuals will be considered for positions for which they meet the minimum qualifications and are able to perform without regard to race, color, gender, age, religion, disability, national origin, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, current unemployment status, or any other basis protected by federal, state or local laws.
Charter Communications is an Equal Opportunity Employer - Minority/Female/Veteran/Disability
Charter Communications will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable laws, including local ordinances.