Posted in Information Technology 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Piscataway, New Jersey
The position is intended to provide architectural direction and leadership in the selection and implementation of complex database, analytical, data integration and data management systems, in support of the needs and objectives of the Organizational Units of the IEEE. The individual in this role will help driving the IEEE data strategy, provide architectural oversight to data and analytical components of all major implementations, lead migration of on-prem data-intensive workloads to the cloud, optimize the existing data-intensive workloads and facilitate governance and streamlining operations of compute and storage resources used in these implementations.
The role reports to Senior Manager for IT Enterprise Architecture and functions as an individual contributor. The role requires a self-starter that can be productive with minimal direction.
Specific duties include but not limited to:
• Designs and implements effective database solutions and data models for transactional and analytical systems in AWS cloud, on-prem and hybrid cloud
• Designs data persistence, retrieval, integration, disaster recovery and management by application and business continuity requirements.
• Conducts fit-for-purpose assessment of relational, no-SQL, graph and other database solutions, depending on requirements
• Develops and manages data warehouse architectures and designs for on-prem, AWS cloud and hybrid systems.
• Develops and maintains data strategy and policies.
• Prepares accurate database design and architecture reports for management and executive teams.
• Partners with leadership to develop and enforce technology standards and ensure that business information needs are understood and mapped to feasible architectures and infrastructures
• Reviews project requirements, evaluating industry-strength XaaS solutions and providing architectural recommendation based on data integration considerations
• Analyzes feedback from user interviews, usability studies and focus groups, translate analysis into design decisions, and manage exceptions to standards
• Identifies key technology overlaps and gaps and formulating strategies to optimize database technology spend, efficiency and effectiveness
• Analyzes complex legacy systems and come up with cloud migration strategies with particular focus on underlying data architectures
Education and Experience: Skills & Other Requirements: • Must have strong written and oral communications skills For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under (Category I—Office Position).
• Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Computer Science, Information Technology or equivalent experience; graduate degree is desirable
• Must have cumulative 7-10 years of related work experience with at least 5 years of experience in IT project delivery as a data or an information architect and 2 years of experience in project delivery utilizing Amazon Web Services (AWS)
• Must have hands-on experience in data modeling, RDBMS technologies, no-SQL databases, data warehouses, analytical platforms and map reduce technologies
• Must have experience in creating and maintaining documentation of large system and enterprise data architectures
• Must have experience in uncovering and addressing data-related problems in regards to system integrations
• Must have expertise in analyzing and tuning data access paths in OLTP and OLAP systems
• Must have experience in data management processes, procedures and practices
• Must have experience in metadata management and associated processes
• Must have experience in estimating costs of cloud-based databases
• Experience in estimating costs of XaaS solutions, designing hybrid cloud architectures, and migrating complex legacy systems to Cloud is desirable
• Experience in designing and implementing Master Data management tools is desirable
• Must have knowledge of IT project execution and delivery methodologies
• Must have expertise in data modeling tools and productivity tools like Erwin, Visio and Excel
• Must have technical understanding of application and network protocols, network technology, and server hardware and server software technologies.
• Understanding of budget planning/development and cost allocation processes is desirable
IEEE is an EEO/AAP Employer/Protected Veteran/Disabled
Skills & Other Requirements:
• Must have strong written and oral communications skills
For information on work demands and conditions required for this position, please consult the reference document, “Physical, Mental, and Work Environment Standards for IEEE Positions.” This position is classified under (Category I—Office Position).
Disclaimer: This job description outlines the general nature and key features performed by various positions that share the same job classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties and qualifications required of all employees assigned to the job. Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or re-assign duties to this job at any time due to reasonable accommodations or other business reasons.