Posted in Other 26 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Santa Barbara, California
Number of Hires
Job Open Date
Job Close Date
Open Until Filled
Primary Consideration Date for Open Until Filled
Additional Deadline Information
Payroll Title Name
Working Title Name
Department Profile (Specific Information about department/program):
Operating within the department of Housing, Dining & Auxiliary Enterprises, Residential Dining Services operates 4 dining commons, serving approximately 5,500 residents on the UCSB campus during the academic year, and providing meals to conferees during the summer. Residential Dining Services has a career staff of 180 full time employees and over 500 student employees.
Don't miss this opportunity! Come join our team at the De La Guerra Dining Commons. We are looking for a professional to work in our platform style facility. We are open 7 days a week, all year. Great medical, dental, vision and retirement benefits. We also offer paid vacation, sick leave and holidays.
FDSD-R & Dh De La Guerra
End Date/Contingencies for Grant Funding
FOC (Federal Occupation Code) Sub-Code
HA-Food Service Workers
FOC (Federal Occupation Code)
H-Services Workers (e.g., Food Svc Worker, Custodian, Police Officer)
Advertised Range Min (full time equivalent)
A little help* Go to Salary Scales 16.84
Advertised Range Max (full time equivalent)
Advertised Range Rate Type
Other Advertised Salary Range Comments
$16.84 - $18.60/hr.
Percentage of full-time
Friday - Tuesday
A little help with Contracts* Go to Employment Agreements Career
Limited Appointment End Date
A little help* Go to General Information on Limited Appointments
Is this a NEW CAREER position*
Summary of Job Duties
(Note: This summary will be used for keyword search) The Cook performs culinary duties such as preparing soups and casseroles, grilling, roasting or barbequing foods, working a saut station, and preparing and assembling made-to-order entr es serving up to 1,500 meals per shift. Insures that assigned responsibilities are accomplished and that high standards of food quality, service, sanitation and safety are met at all times. Assists with student training, food production and sanitation.
Minimum Education/Experience Requirements:
High School Diploma or equivalency and one year progressively more responsible culinary experience in a high-volume culinary environment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Minimum Skills, Knowledge, Abilities and Requirements:
1. Communication skills sufficient to direct the work of others and interact successfully within a large staff. Teamwork skills include the ability to problem solve, provide feedback, present problems in a professional manner and accept constructive criticism both on an individual basis and within a group. Must have ability to maintain harmonious and courteous relationships with all staff and customers.
2. Knowledge of and experience with culinary techniques, including but not inclusive of saut ing, grilling, frying, steaming, preparing sauces and stocks. This includes experience working with commercial kitchen equipment and preparing large quantities.
3. Ability to perform and teach standard quantity culinary techniques. Ability to supervise student staff in the use of the following equipment: Tilt Skillet, Char Grill, Flat Top Grill, Barbeque Grill, Convection Oven, Rotary Oven, Deck Oven, Combi Oven, Rotisserie Oven, Smoker, Steamer, Steam Kettle, Deep Fat Fryer, Pasta Cooker, Stove Top Saut Station, Food Slicer, Food Processor, 80, 60 and 20 Quart Mixers and all attachments, Potato Peeler, Vertical Cutter/Mixer, Burr Mixer, Hot/Cold Wells, Warming Cart, Professional Knives, Pastry Bag and Tips.
4. Knowledge of state and federal safety and sanitation regulations regarding proper handling, storing, cooking and holding temperatures and proper use and cleaning of kitchen equipment.
5. Supervisory skills to train and oversee the work of students. Exhibits organizational skills involving multi-tasking and deadline management sufficient to ensure timely output of meals.
6. Ability to speak English using appropriate grammar and vocabulary sufficient to communicate effectively with all staff and customers. Ability to read and write English for the purpose of preparing food from recipe guidelines and producing reports. Ability to analyze recipes, recognize problems and make corrections as needed.
7. Ability to perform basic mathematical calculations including addition, subtraction, division, and multiplication needed for recipe development and other required functions.
Special Conditions of Employment
A little help* Go to Driver's License Requirements or Background Check Guidelines Satisfactory criminal history background check
Maintain a valid CA driver's license
Other Special Conditions of Employment
Able to lift up to 50 pounds and work standing for up to 8 hours per day.
Other Recruitment Notes
Optional Applicant Documents
Other Document (1)
Other Document (2)
Other Document (3)
Required Applicant Documents
FLSA Exemption Status
A little help* Go to Exempt vs. Non-Exempt Employees Non-exempt
CBU (Collective Bargaining Unit)
SX - Service Unit (AFSCME)
ERC (Employee Relations Code)
End Date for Other Appointment Type (e.g., Contract or 18-month Career)
Type of Supervision Received
A little help* Go to Degree of Supervision Supervision
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Continuously=Activity occurs 66%
Frequently=Activity occurs 33% to 66%
Occasionally=Activity occurs Not Applicable=Activity does not exist
Reach above shoulder level
Hand Activities: Fine dexterity
Hand Activities: Hand twisting
Hand Activities: Simple grasping
Hand Activities: Power grasping
Other (please specify activity)
Frequency of Other Activity
Lifting Activities: Light lifting (
Lifting Activities: Moderate lifting (20-50 lbs)
Lifting Activities: Heavy lifting ( 50 lbs)
Push/Pull Activities: Light pushing/pulling (
Push/Pull Activities: Moderate pushing/pulling (20-50 lbs of force)
Push/Pull Activities: Heavy pushing/pulling ( 50 lbs of force)
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.