Posted in Engineering 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by Professional Diversity Network, Inc
Type: Full Time
Location: Mankato, Minnesota
The Technical Writer (Project Systems Business) is responsible for the development and distribution of customized technical documentation solutions for large systems in accordance with customer and company requirements. Contributes to moderately complex aspects of a project. Work is generally both independent and collaborative in nature.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities * Researches, interprets, and prepares client technical documentation specifications. * Collaborates with account representatives to ensure client specifications are clear and can be realized. * Collaborates with subject matter experts in Engineering, Service, Sales, Purchasing, IT, and suppliers to secure accurate documentation content and copyright permission. * Interviews production and engineering personnel and read journals and other material to become familiar with product technologies and production methods for technical documentation purposes. * Collects and interprets technical data or information and coordinates layout for publication. * Creates, edits, and maintains technical documentation. This includes, but is not limited to, the acquisition of information, writing, editing, formatting, translating, graphics handling, quality assurance, publishing, versioning, printing coordination, and delivery. * Creates and maintains documentation templates used for multiple purposes * Manages revision control based on defined standards for all documentation. * Collaborates with others inside and outside of immediate work group to ensure content accuracy, relevance, and consistency of product, service, and application-related technical documentation. * Manages the planning, scheduling, and monitoring of translations required for designated technical documents. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring concise and accurate terminology and context, managing workflow, establishing rules-based editing with global peers, and delivery. * Secures appropriate reviews, approvals, and consensus from various departments/disciplines within the global organization. * Backs up other technical writing and production services including, but not limited to authoring, editing, publishing, and quality verification. * Reviews materials prepared by other writers and business personnel and recommends revisions or changes in scope based on accuracy, format, content, standardization, and methods of reproduction and binding. * Utilizes various software applications to create customized document output to track, manage, and control document revision status. * Assists in the administration and support of documentation software.* Prepares, manages, formats, and converts content for distribution in various delivery forms (print and electronic) including, but not limited to PDF docs or forms, software help files, knowledgebase tech notes, web documents, etc. * Coordinates with external suppliers for printing services * Collaborates with direct supervisor and regional and global peers on best practices for global documentation processes and standards. * Promote a compliance culture in area of responsibility, and live the letter and the spirit of the RRPS Integrity Code. * Other tasks as assigned by manager.Qualifications:
* Bachelor's Degree in Mechanical or Electrical Engineering or Technology, Technical Communications, Journalism, English or related field, and
* Minimum of 3 years writing experience, preferably in a mechanical / industrial field with an emphasis on technical documentation
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Excellent and interpersonal communication skills (oral, written, and presentation) with the ability to handle sensitive and confidential situations
* Must have an exceptional command of the English language (written and oral)
* Strong orientation for detail, organization, and high quality standards
* Ability to communicate professionally with people at all levels within the organization including external contacts
* Working knowledge of Content Management principles and strategies
* Proficient in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, and Content Management applications
* International business experience is preferred, but not required
* Ability to travel domestically and internationally
* Hands-on knowledge of structured authoring, DITA, CMS, and XML and associated authoring tools such as XMetal or equivalent
* Knowledge of MTU Onsite Energy, or comparable diesel products, and their applications
* Sufficient knowledge of the concepts of mechanical and electrical machine operations to document production observations, assembly, and to test procedures and reference material.
* Experience dealing with translation-oriented environment