Posted in Science 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Olathe, Kansas
As a leading worldwide provider of navigation devices and wearable technology, our focus is on developing, designing and supporting superior products. Our advanced technology promotes performance, safety and ease of use in every market we serve. That makes us an engineering and technology company with a keen focus on recruiting talent in those fields. But the same vertical integration business model that keeps all design and manufacturing processes in-house also gives us the incentive to hire top performers from different backgrounds, including operations, finance and accounting, information technology, sales, marketing and communications.
Associates get the royal treatment at Garmin. Regardless if you’re a newbie or a veteran, engineers dream it, design it and use it. Here, you will be surrounded by others who share the same passion about what they do every day. We offer a relaxed team environment (no dress code!) where advancement is found from sharing knowledge, not hiding it! While we promise you a lot of responsibility, you also will have the opportunity to have ownership over projects…oh, and we promise you there will be some fun mixed in there, too!
We are looking for a Sr. Data Scientist for our headquarters in the greater Kansas City area. In this role, you will support the segments through advanced data analytics of our data. This position will help inform business decisions, feature development and improve user engagement. Other essential functions include:
• Identify opportunities for leveraging company data to drive business solutions.
• Mine and analyze data to drive optimization and improvement of Connect user engagement (Garmin Coach confidence, activity analytics, etc), product development, marketing techniques and business strategies.
• Assess the effectiveness and accuracy of new data sources and data gathering techniques
• Develop custom data models and algorithms to apply to data sets
• Use predictive modeling to increase and optimize user experiences, revenue generation, and other business initiatives
• Coordinate with different functional teams to implement models and monitor outcomes
• Develop processes and tools to monitor and analyze model performance and data accuracy
• Possess a drive to learn and master new technologies and techniques
• Visualize and present data for stakeholders using intriguing and interesting graphics/technologies
• Mentor junior team members
• Provide quarterly classes for team members to learn Data Science techniques and technologies
• Improve efficiency of existing MR jobs, or replace with more recent technologies
• Perform other job-related duties as assigned
Qualified candidates will possess a Master of Science in Computer Science, with Data Science Emphasis with 4+ years Data Science experience (emphasis may be in Machine Learning, Mathematics or Statistics if relevant experience is accompanied)
• Will serve as part of an on-call rotation
• Experience with Java, Map Reduce, SQL, Scala, Machine Learning
• Experience with SQL Server
• Experience with Hadoop ecosystem and components (Spark, Hive, HBase, HDFS, Storm, Kafka)
• Nice to have: Experience in Data Warehousing, ETL, SSRS, etc.
Garmin International is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, citizenship, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, veteran’s status, age or disability.