Medical Oncologist/Hematologist is a physician with specialized education and clinical competency to provide care for oncologic and hematologic diseases in diverse populations. This position functions under the Regulatory Guidance provided by the State of Louisiana and within the Standards of Practice outlined by the American Society of Clinical Oncology. The Physician has the responsibility and accountability for assessing patient/family health problems and resources, planning, implementing and evaluating the plan of care for the patients. Per the Departments Scope of Practice, this position requires providing services to oncology patients, in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individuals served. This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. It is expected that the associate demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The associate shall support the CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini's strategic plan and the goals and direction of their Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)
* The Physician utilizes the scientific process and national standards of care as a framework for managing client care. This process includes:
* Assessment of health status * Obtains a relevant health and medical history * Performs a physical examination based on age and history * Performs or orders preventive and diagnostic procedures based on the patient's age and history * Identifies health and medical risk factors
* Diagnosis - Physician makes a diagnosis by:
* Utilizing critical thinking in the diagnostic process * Synthesizing and analyzing the collected data * Formulating a differential diagnosis based on the history, physical examination, and diagnostic test results * Establishing priorities to meet the health and medical needs of the individual and family
* Development of a Treatment Plan
* Orders additional diagnostic tests * Selects appropriate pharmacological and non-pharmacological interventions * Develops a patient education plan * Plans appropriate consultations or referrals
* Implementation of the Plan
* Accurately conducting and interpreting diagnostic tests * Prescribing pharmacological agents and non-pharmacological therapies * Provides relevant patient / family education * Makes appropriate referrals to other health professionals or agencies
* Follow up and Evaluation of Patient Status
* Maintains a systematic process for patient follow up * Determines the effectiveness of the treatment plan with documentation of patient care out comes * Reassesses and modifies the plan of care as necessary to achieve health and medical goals.
* The Physician participates as a team member in the provision of health and medical care, interacting with professional colleagues to provide comprehensive care. * Physician attends and participates in multidisciplinary case conferences, Tumor Conference, Cancer Committee, and other activities as necessary. * Networks with referring physicians, agencies, and clinics regarding the care of patients and disease status. Maintains open lines of communication with referring physicians and agencies. * Coordinates with Cancer Program Medical Social Worker, Dietician, Radiation Therapists, medical oncology clinic nursing personnel, chemotherapy nurses and supporting occupation therapists on the care of patients. * Collaborates with other physicians regarding admissions, appropriateness of care plan, pharmacy orders/prescriptions, and diagnostic tests as necessary.
* Scope of Practice: Physician will develop a clearly defined and documented scope of care. * Documentation: Physician will document patient care fully and completely in the appropriate patient chart. * Research: Physician will collaborate with the research nurse, patients, and other physicians to facilitate research efforts. * Review all laboratory and radiographic reports as well as other patient related documents and makes appropriate interventions and or initiate action. * Procedures: all outpatient procedures will be performed in accordance with established protocols and within established practice limits.
* OBTAINS KNOWLEDGE OF, AND DEMONSTRATES COMPLIANCE WITH INFECTION CONTROL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES.
* Practices Standard Precautions in patient care activities. * Practices appropriate disease specific isolation as required. * Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps.
* DEVELOPS, IMPLEMENTS AND EVALUATES A PLAN OF CARE FOR THE PATIENT/FAMILY.
* Develops and implements the plan of care based on assessment findings. * Establishes the plan of care within time frame specific to assigned Department/unit. * Re-evaluates and modifies the plan of care, based on the patient's response to the interventions. * Communicates the plan of care to members of the nursing team. * Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities based on patient assessment and staff capabilities. * Appropriately coordinates and/or delegates aspects of the plan of care. * Involves the patient/family in developing the plan of care. * Demonstrates sound clinical judgment in decision-making regarding patient care.
* INCORPORATES THE PLAN OF CARE INTO THE MULTIDISCIPLINARY CARE AND MANAGEMENT OF THE PATIENT/FAMILY.
* Communicates effectively with physicians and allied health team. * Coordinates care with other disciplines involved. * Involves allied health team members, as necessary. * Actively participates in multidisciplinary care conferences
* ASSURES THE RIGHTS OF THE PATIENT/FAMILY ARE RESPECTED AND MAINTAINED.
* Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care. * Identifies self by name and title to patient/family * Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect, if identified. * Understands role of, and how to access, the Ethics Committee. * Establishes presence of consent prior to treatment/procedure.
* DEMONSTRATES THE ABILITY TO SAFELY AND COMPETENTLY PRESCRIBE MEDICATIONS, INTRAVENOUS THERAPY AND BASIC FLUID MANAGEMENT.
* Understands actions, side-effects, contra-indications of drugs. * Follows five "rights" of medication administration. * Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards. * Prescribes medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management.
* DEMONSTRATES KNOWLEDGE OF UNIT SPECIFIC POLICIES AND PROCEDURES AND THE ABILITY TO SAFELY AND COMPETENTLY USE UNIT SPECIFIC PATIENT CARE EQUIPMENT IN THE DELIVERY OF QUALITY PATIENT CARE.
* Completed Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist. * Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use. * Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use. * Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction. * Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operating guidelines. * Participates or performs required Quality Improvement studies accurately and in a timely manner. * Assists Medical Director in the development of new policies or procedures as requested.
* Excellent written and verbal communication skills English required, bilingual (English/Spanish; English/French)preferred
* One-year recent experience preferred
* Current Louisiana Medical License * Current BLS Card * Current ACLS Card * Board Certification required within 2 years of hire date.