Posted in Broadcasting 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by eQuest
Location: Washington, Washington DC
Nature Research is a flagship portfolio of journals, products and services including Nature and the Nature-branded journals, dedicated to serving the scientific community.
Nature, the world’s most authoritative science journal, seeks an experienced, enterprising journalist to help lead our award-winning coverage of biomedical science and US science policy – from the dizzying rise of CRISPR gene-editing technology to behind-the-scenes intrigue at the National Institutes of Health.
You will cover discoveries, trends and controversies in biomedicine, and goings-on at the relevant US science agenices, for our global audience of working scientists, and will be skilled at breaking news and hunting down exclusive stories. Experience covering US science agencies and Congress is preferred, but not required.
You’ll be able to turn around fast, accurate news stories and dive into a feature or investigation. Your articles will be sophisticated, accurate and high-impact. You will think of stories in terms of data and images, not just words.
Reporting to the Americas Bureau Chief, you will be part of a small, highly collaborative, global team of science journalists that produces authoritative, accurate and thought-provoking journalism. Your stories will appear online and in print.
This position is based in Washington, DC. To apply, please submit a resume, 3-5 clips and a cover letter describing how you would approach this role and why you are qualified.
The deadline to apply is September 13, 2019.
* Report and write news stories – including breaking news – for online and print, and features for the weekly magazine
* Work to identify and deliver exclusive news stories for online and print
* Stay current on research and related policy by reading journals, cultivating sources, attending conferences and visiting labs
* Contribute leaders and advise on opinion/comment pieces as necessary
* Work with multimedia, art and media asset teams as needed to help produce graphics, videos, podcasts and other multimedia or visual content to accompany or augment written news coverage
* Provide holiday cover for other reporters as needed
* Other tasks required by the Americas Bureau Chief
* Americas Bureau Chief, Americas News Editor, Chief News and Features Editor, Bureau Chief – Editorials.
* Other reporters and news editors (including those outside the Americas Bureau), subediting team, picture-research team, multimedia team, features editors.
University degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience.
* Ability to identify and generate news and features stories of interest to Nature’s readers
* Ability to write accurately and with flair about complex topics to tight deadlines
* Enthusiasm form, and basic fluency in, the ‘community’ issues that affect working scientists
* Good time management and organization; ability to work to strict short and long term deadlines and to react quickly to breaking news
* Good interpersonal skills and ease working with colleagues
* Command of journalistic values and basic awareness of media law
* University degree in a relevant subject, or equivalent professional experience
* Proven science journalism experience
* Newsroom experience, preferably in a fast-paced environment
* Experience reporting on US science policy, including federal agencies, Congress and the courts
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes:
- Medical, Dental and Vision
- Life and AD&D
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Transit Accounts
- Tuition Assistance
- Summer Hours
Springer Nature is an Equal Opportunity Employer that complies with the laws and regulations set forth in the following “Equal Employment Opportunity Is The Law” poster:
Visit the Springer Nature Editorial and Publishing website at www.springernature.com/editorial-and-publishing-jobs for more information about our Research E&P career opportunities.
Springer Nature is a leading global research, educational and professional publisher, home to an array of respected and trusted brands providing quality content through a range of innovative products and services.
Springer Nature is the world’s largest academic book publisher, publisher of the world’s highest impact journals and a pioneer in the field of open research. The company numbers almost 13,000 staff in over 50 countries and has a turnover of approximately EUR 1.5 billion. Springer Nature was formed in 2015 through the merger of Nature Publishing Group, Palgrave Macmillan, Macmillan Education and Springer Science+Business Media.