Posted in Accounting 12 days ago.
This job brought to you by Local Organization
Location: Sterling, Virginia
As Discovery Inc’s portfolio continues to grow – around the world and across platforms – the Global Technology & Operations team is building media technology and IT systems that meet the world class standard for which Discovery is known. GT&O builds, implements and maintains the business systems and technology that are critical for delivering Discovery’s products, while articulating the long-term technology strategy that will enable Discovery’s growing pay-tv, digital terrestrial, free-to-air and online services to reach more audiences on more platforms.
From Amsterdam to Singapore and from satellite and broadcast operations to SAP, we are driving Discovery forward on the leading edge of technology.
Reporting to the Live Events Manager, this position is critical in working primarily on execution of Live Events for the TOC through support of Discovery WAN, Satellite, and Fiber contribution. The primary purpose of the position is to coordinate and support live events, requiring close cross-organizational relationships.
This position will be responsible for overseeing Distribution initiatives, and communicating transmission concerns to Operations. Coordinating the live event operations for both US and international event initiatives, this position is a mission critical role requiring a vast understanding of Live television and distribution.
The role requires broad experience across Broadcast disciplines, knowledge of existing and new compression formats and an understanding of Multicast IP distribution. Organizational scope of the Live Events Coordinator within our Sterling, VA Broadcast Center – the post holder will oversee Live Events as scheduled and additionally support Distribution Operations.
Post holders will be expected to work shifts including weekends. While regular night work is not required it should be expected that the post holder will need to work nights during certain events, and Distribution Operations coverage as required.
1. Coordinate ad hoc programming and live events from multiple locations
2. Operate TOC contribution/distribution systems located at Discovery North American locations
3. Create and update operational SOPs
4. Provide specialist technical support and information to other departments
5. Strengthen the transmission reliability of the Discovery North America Networks to all their affiliates by making intelligent decisions and handling on air emergencies and discrepancies as they occur.
6. Handle any necessary switching of transmission systems during normal or emergency conditions to ensure that all services remain on the air.
7. Provide input and issue written reports to various factions of the Global Technology & Operations groups about transmission system reliability.
8. Control local and national fiber connectivity between DCI facilities and remote locations throughout the world.
9. Interface with external satellite & fiber vendors when required.
10. Perform on-site quality control and proof of performance testing of ad hoc programs and full-time services.
11. Assist with training, coaching and development of Staff Members as needed
12. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across all Distribution disciplines
13. Develop and maintain strong working relationships across GT&O
14. Deputizes for Live Events Manager as required
15. Partner with GT&O & Digital Sports and Olympics teams on for Sporting Events and Olympic Games.
16. Provide Distribution Operations coverage in line with vacation and sick absences
17. Other duties as required
* 2-3 years’ experience working in Live Television, major sporting events, and scheduling flexibility.
* Thorough knowledge of current, commonly used compression standards.
* An in-depth knowledge of digital baseband signals, SDI, HD-SDI and ASI for video and PCM, Dolby D and E and its variants for audio signals.
* Knowledge of and experience with SMPTE 2202-7, 2110 and AES 67
* Practical working knowledge of baseband broadcast test and transport stream measurement equipment.
* Practical experience of broadcast facility practices and procedures.
* Standard office IT skills – MS Office, MS Visio, MS Project.
* Self-motivation and the ability to advance projects without supervision are essential.
* The ability to deal with multiple workflows, identify and prioritize responsibilities in a changing environment.
* Knowledge of satellite distribution and RF up-linking technology and satellite reception systems and technology.
* Previous experience and use of SNMP monitoring systems
* Candidates should have C-band & KU RF experience along with a familiarity with Arris and Cisco encoding systems.
* Candidates should have the ability to operate associated test equipment including but not limited to spectrum analyzer, signal generator, video waveform monitor, vector scope and transport stream analyzer.
* Specific experience and expertise in troubleshooting and correcting signal quality issues, signal routing, systems integration and maintenance and use of Video/Audio equipment.
* Candidate must have the ability to perform well in a high-pressure environment.
* Computer literacy, excellent oral and written communication abilities and close attention to details are required.
* This position is considered an essential position. This means that during times of inclement weather, emergencies, or when access to the workplace may be impeded, that employees in this position are expected to report to work to support business continuance, unless otherwise instructed by their direct manager.
* Candidate must possess the legal right to work in the United States.
* Must have the legal right to work in the United States
Sterling, Virginia, VADiscovery Communications, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer. Discovery is committed to being an employer of choice, not just a good place to work, but a great and inclusive place to work. To that end, we strive to recruit and maintain a workforce that meaningfully represents the diverse and culturally rich communities that we serve. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to their race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status or disabled status or, genetic information.