Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Full Time
Location: Tyler, Texas
Advancing Healthcare Together - The Future of Healthcare is in East Texas
Why UT Health - East Texas?
Our People. Our people truly are our greatest strength. They make a massive difference in the amazing care we provide every day. We work closely together to create a positive experience for our patients and each other.
Our Purpose. We will build on your experience and provide meaningful and purposeful career growth for your future. You will have the opportunity every day to make a difference in someone's life and change the course of healthcare.
Our Place. Tyler, Texas is a small town with a huge heart where you will have the privilege of caring for your neighbors. Everybody is somebody here.
Representing the very best in healthcare, UT Health East Texas is comprised of 10 hospitals and more than 50 clinics across east Texas. With nearly 7,500 employees and over 1,000 licensed in-patient beds, UT Health East Texas provides healthcare services to thousands of patients annually through our hospitals, clinics, Level 1 trauma facility, air emergency fleet and EMS service in a metropolitan service area of a quarter-million people.
Our UT Health Tyler hospital is seeking an experienced Coding Specialist. We are looking for your experience, knowledge and patient care skills in our Primary Care Clinic where you will be responsible for:
What You Will Be Doing:
- The coder will bring to the table proven experience in inpatient and outpatient acute care coding in order to achieve appropriate and timely reimbursement and data integrity.
- The coding specialist must ensure accurate and compliant application of correct coding principles for hospital services and participate in any acute care coding-related projects.
- Assigning ICD-10-CM and ICD-10-PCS codes for all types of acute and inpatient and outpatient cases.
- Assigning CPT codes on outpatient cases.
- Generating physician queries, as needed, in order to improve clinical documentation.
- Works closely with the CDI and Health Information Integrity (HII) teams in order to capture the most accurate coding, severity of illness, and risk of mortality.
- Maintains at least a 95% accuracy rate.
- Maintains average to high productivity based on UT Health Coding Productivity Standards.
- Accurate abstracting of facility required data in the electronic system.
- Working applicable edits if needed.
- Verify that medical necessity policies are met via coding and documentation.
- Communication of issues to the Coding Manager, as appropriate.
- Thorough understanding of ICD-10-CM/PCS Official Coding Guidelines for Coding and Reporting and AHA Coding Clinic.
- Thorough understanding of Medicare Inpatient Prospective Payment System (IPPS), Medicare Severity-Diagnosis Related Groups (MS-DRGs), APR-DRG's, and Outpatient Prospective Payment System (OPPS)
- Understanding of coding resources and tools.
- Maintains continuing education (CE) requirements per UT Health policy.
So what experience are we looking for in our Coding Specialists?
- Successful completion of a Medical Terminology, Anatomy and Physiology, and Pharmacology course.
- Coding/HIM certification required (e.g. RHIA, RHIT, CCS, CPC).
- Minimum of 3 years coding/abstracting experience in inpatient and outpatient coding.
- Experience with 3M, AS400, Cerner Soarian/OneChart a plus.
- Computer and software skills, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, encoder/grouper.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills.
- Organizational skills.
- Leadership skills.
Now that you read about what you will be doing and the experience we seek, it is time to apply and make a difference in the lives of our patients.
UT Health East Texas is an equal opportunity employer (including veterans and persons with disabilities).