Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Another Source s client, Western Washington University, is recruiting a Director of Finance for the University Advancement Team. Internally this position is titled Director of Financial and Administrative Services.
Here s a little about Western Washington University and the position they are recruiting for:
About the University
Western Washington University, with over 16,000 students in seven colleges and the graduate school, is nationally recognized for its educational programs, students and faculty. The campus is located in Bellingham, Washington, a coastal community of 83,000 overlooking Bellingham Bay, the San Juan Islands and the North Cascades Mountain range. The city lies 90 miles north of Seattle and 60 miles south of Vancouver, British Columbia. Western is the highest-ranking public, master's-granting university in the Pacific Northwest, according to the 2019 U.S. News & World Report rankings.
About the Division
The division of University Advancement supports Western's mission, which states that together with our students, staff, and faculty, we are committed to making a positive impact in the state and the world with a shared focus on academic excellence and inclusive achievement. University Advancement is actively engaged in moving forward the University s mission through supporting core themes, specifically advancing inclusive success. The external boards of the WWU Foundation and Alumni Association are dedicated to supporting Western s strategic plan, specifically through the student success campaign. We encourage applications from women, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and other candidates from underrepresented backgrounds and with diverse experiences interested in this opportunity.
Is this Job for Me*
Reporting to the COO for University Advancement/CFO for the Foundation, you will serve as the primary accounting, finance and administrative partner for University Advancement and the associated institutionally aligned nonprofits, the WWU Foundation and the Alumni Association. Each of these entities are stand-alone 501(c)3 corporations that produce audited financial statements and file 990 tax returns.
What are the Details*
Accounting and Reporting
* Responsible for the accurate and timely accounting of financial transactions for University Advancement, WWU Foundation and Alumni Association
* Reviews and Approves all accounting entries and journal vouchers
* Ensures all account reconciliations are performed on a monthly or quarterly basis as appropriate
* Prepares monthly and quarterly financial reports for Division, Foundation and Alumni Association including: operations, investments, and fund balances
* Prepares ad hoc financial reporting and analysis as requested by colleges and Advancement leadership team
* Maintains endowment fund sub ledger system (Fundriver); ensures all gifts are recorded appropriately within accounting system, investment returns are allocated correctly, and spending allocations are calculated and recognized in appropriate spending fund. Oversees one fiscal specialist in this area of responsibility.
* Supports COO in financial presentations to committees as required
Treasury and Investments
* Forecast and manage cash flow needs for Foundation and Alumni Association
* Initiates all ACH, wire and EFT transactions
* Manages purchasing credit cards and credit limits
* Responsible for recognizing and reporting all gifts resulting from wires, stock transfers or other transfers of securities
* Oversees and manages accounting and reporting for all investment accounts for the Foundation and Alumni Association
Audit and Tax
* Coordinates and manages annual audit and tax preparation for both Foundation and Alumni Association.
* Provides day to day contact for external auditors and tax preparers.
* Prepares all schedules and information requests.
* Attests that all reports and filings are accurate to the best of knowledge
* Prepares operating budgets for Alumni, Foundation and University Advancement
* Works closely with COO and staff from Alumni, Foundation and Advancement to ensure accuracy of budget
* Prepares University personnel budgets and liaises with University budget team for these purposes
* Serves as budget liaison from UA to BMAC
Administrative and Office Management
* Prepares and submits all State of Washington statutory required reporting
* Approves Travel Expense Management (TEM) requests
* Oversees the TEM system for UA. Adds/removes users as needed and provides user support as required
* Oversees, approves and submits State of Washington sales and use tax for Foundation and Alumni Association
* Oversees IT inventory and ensures technology inventory is appropriate for department needs
* Assists COO to ensure space utilization is appropriately utilized.
Purchasing and Procurement
* Oversees day to day procurement of all university departments utilizing foundation funds
* Ensures appropriate purchasing controls are functioning as intended
* Ensures reasonableness of purchases for office equipment
* Oversees purchasing for University Advancement including technology and office furniture
* Manages inventory of University Advancement supplies
* Compares purchasing requests with budget availability
* Administers Emarketplace for University Advancement
Payroll and Human Resources
* Oversees and approves bimonthly payroll and time inputs for Foundation staff
* Reviews all Advancement personnel action forms for accuracy and appropriate budget strings
* Initiate new employee onboarding procedures including; initial HR access(W#), computing/online access, building/key access, phone/long distance access and credit card approval (if applicable)
* Ensures all employment terminations are completed as appropriate
* Bachelor's degree or higher in accounting, financial management, or related field.
* Minimum five years of related work experience, including management experience.
* Proficiency in fund accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures.
* Demonstrated skills in supervision, including employee recruitment, training, development, and performance evaluation.
* Excellent written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
* Demonstrated ability to cultivate, encourage and manage a diverse, equitable and inclusive work environment.
* Highly motivated team player; able to manage large projects and meet quick deadlines.
* Ability to understand and communicate complex financial requirements, financial reporting, and audit requirements.
* Ability to provide a service-oriented approach to stakeholders, both internal and external
* Knowledge federal tax and regulatory codes relating to tax exempt entities
* CPA certification
* Master s degree in accounting, financial management, or related field
* Experience in both higher education environment and non-academic setting strongly preferred.
* Proficiency in accounting/financial management principles, practices, and procedures as they relate to college and university environments
Salary and Benefits
$78,147 - $89,250 commensurate experience, including an excellent benefits package. As a WWU employee, you would have the opportunity to participate in a variety of benefit programs. WWU is proud to offer a comprehensive program of benefits that include health, dental, vision, life, disability, long term care, retirement plan with matching, educational growth opportunities and time away to balance your personal needs with work and life.
Western Washington University (WWU) is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to assembling a diverse, broadly trained faculty and staff. See WWU s Policy on Ensuring Equal