Posted in General Business 30+ days ago.
This high profile senior management position will lead the global Corporate Tax team for the Corporation. The role has direct responsibility for global income tax planning, compliance and accounting as well as support of global corporate initiatives from an income tax perspective. The focus of the role is technical expertise, oversight, review and coordination in addition to process improvements and enhancement of controls over the processes. The individual also shall have significant interaction and strong working relationships with other finance teams and tax authorities. The successful individual will report directly to the Corporate Controller, will work closely with the Chief Financial Officer and other members of senior management and shall have a team of approximately 15 people.
• Provide leadership and guidance over the timely and accurate filing of the Corporation's US, state and non-US branches and subsidiaries income tax returns.
• Oversee any audits or examinations by a tax authority of the above-noted income tax returns.
• Consider, evaluate and implement potential Federal, state and international income tax planning strategies that are consistent with the Corporation's overall risk profile. Serving in a leadership role on complex enterprise-wide or cross-functional matters, to ensure that all corporate tax issues have been properly considered. This includes developing relationships with key Controllers, Finance and Business partners.
• Provide leadership and guidance over the accounting for income taxes under ASC 740 including policy, strategic, and operational aspects, the Corporation's compliance with ASC 740-10 (Federal, state and international), and coordination of the external auditor's quarterly and year-end data requests for data and information, monitoring and updating Corporate Tax's SOX 404 controls.
• Evaluate current requirements, as well as assessing the compliance impacts of future changes to U.S. federal, state, and non-U.S. income tax law, regulations, and rulings
• Provide thought leadership on existing and/or emerging income tax reporting and compliance risks while maintaining a well-controlled reporting and compliance environment
• Provide review and approval of consolidated and separate entity calculations of estimated income tax payments
• Provide thought leadership with respect to use of tools and technologies, both current and emerging
• Provide thought leadership with respect to training and development of corporate tax team members
• Leadership and organizational skills are required to develop periodic goals and to manage and motivate team members towards the goals set.
• Must have thorough knowledge of US, state tax and accounting laws.
• Must be willing and comfortable liaising with external parties such as external auditors, tax auditors, consultants, and tax directors at peer financial institutions.
• Communication and analytical skills are necessary to communicate and to consult with internal and external partners, and to analyze the facts and related financial information so that income tax laws and related tax regulations can be properly applied.
• Highly proficient tax technical skills with respect to tax compliance, research and planning matters. Highly flexible and adaptable to change.
• Ability to work under pressure and to deliver to tight deadlines.
• 15-20 years of relevant experience in a financial services environment
• MST or JD (or equivalent) preferred
• International tax and income tax accounting experience preferred
About Northern Trust:
Northern Trust provides innovative financial services and guidance to corporations, institutions and affluent families and individuals globally. With 130 years of financial experience and nearly 20,000 partners, we serve the world's most sophisticated clients using leading technology and exceptional service.
Working with Us:
As a Northern Trust partner, you will be part of a flexible and collaborative work culture, which has a strong history of financial strength and stability. Movement within the organization is encouraged, senior leaders are accessible, and you can take pride in working for a company that is committed to strengthening the communities we serve!
We recognize the value of inclusion and diversity in culture, in thought, and in experience, which is why Forbes ranked us the top employer for Diversity in 2018.
We'd love to learn more about how your interests and experience could be a fit with one of the world's most admired and ethical companies. Build your career with us and apply today.