Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
Location: Renton, WA, US
JOB TITLE: ELECTRIFIED VEHICLE POWER SYSTEMS ENGINEER
Become part of a small team developing advanced powertrain solutions for future products. Building off the success of the ZECT hydrogen fuel cell powered truck, Kenworth in partnership with Toyota and Shell, is developing fuel cell powered vehicles to explore the use of this technology in heavy duty applications. A team of knowledgeable and motivated individuals is being formed to develop,
support and evaluate these vehicles as they are put into service in 2020. The design and
architectural foundations laid and the knowledge gained through this program will shape the future
of electrified powertrains.
KENWORTH TRUCK COMPANY:
Kenworth Truck Company is the manufacturer of The World s Best heavy and medium duty trucks.
Kenworth is an industry leader in providing fuel-saving technology solutions that help increase fuel
efficiency and reduce emissions. The company s dedication to the green fleet includes aerodynamic
trucks, compressed and liquefied natural gas trucks, and medium duty diesel-electric hybrids. Kenworth
is the first truck manufacturer to receive the Environmental Protection Agency s Clean Air Excellence
award in recognition of its environmentally friendly products.
This position is within the Advanced Development Team at Kenworth and involves defining next-generation electrified powertrains. Including investigative, development, and coordination activities. Technology areas include batteries, motors, controls, and architecture. Responsibilities include interfacing with other PACCAR divisions (PACCAR Technical Center, Peterbilt and DAF) and purchasing. The person will also work with external research and engineering organizations that are partnered with PACCAR.
Job Functions / Responsibilities
* Evaluate and select battery cells, battery packs, traction motors, BMS, power electronics, and electric powertrain controls for a full range of commercial vehicle electrification applications from micro hybrids to full EVs
* Define, design and implement electrified powertrain systems into heavy and medium duty trucks
* Lead benchmarking activities, technology evaluation projects, and participate in development of validation standards for electric components, systems and vehicles
* Keep abreast of emerging technologies, tools, and methods through interaction with universities, national labs and suppliers
* Cooperate with purchasing to evaluate and select component and system suppliers
* Communicate results and recommendations to team and stakeholders on a regular basis and facilitate technology transfer to relevant PACCAR divisions
* Five years of experience in electric powertrain development/R&D
* In-depth experience with at least one of: battery cells, battery packs, traction motors, BMS, electric powertrain controls (and strong familiarity with the rest)
* Background in system-level component selection, integration, performance, and thermal management
* Familiarity with electric powertrain simulation tools
* Experience as a contributor to cross-functional technical project teams
* Previously demonstrated resourcefulness, strong technical knowledge, analytical capability, and communication skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills, be a self-starter and have demonstrated high levels of initiative and innovation.
Bachelor s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mechatronics, Chemical Engineering or Engineering Physics
Take advantage of this unique opportunity, apply now.
Nearest Major Market: Seattle
Nearest Secondary Market: Bellevue
Job Segment: Engineer, Electronics Engineer, Electrical, Systems Engineer, Chemical Research, Engineering
PACCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veteran/Disability.