Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
OVERVIEW To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
Provides preventive and oral healthcare and other contributing dental hygiene services in support of the Department of Dentistry to include adults, children and patients with special needs.
* 1. Pediatrics: Conducts mandated EPSDT dental screening for children up to the age of twenty-one as well as providing dental education and complimentary educational materials.
* 2. Expedites prompt dental treatment appointments for those children and adults identified as being at high risk. Patients identified as high risk and/or patients with special needs will be assigned highest priority and given immediate assessment, intervention, coordination of care and referrals when indicated.
* 3. Devotes specified amounts of time during the school year in outreach efforts including screenings and educational sessions in the Yale-New Haven School Based Clinics, Headstart, and when requested in the New Haven Public Schools
* 4. Supports the Department of Dentistry's activities by providing therapeutic hygiene services under the general supervision of staff dentist. Responsibilities include preventive and prophylaxis care, periodontal scaling and root planing. Accurately reviews the medical and dental history, records periodontal probing and extra/intra oral examinations results, exposes and processes radiographs as prescribed by staff dentist, provides dietary counseling and oral health education, applies anti-cariogenic agents (fluoride and sealants) as prescribed by staff dentists, follows infection control procedures as set forth by Yale-New Haven Hospital and the American Dental Association. Maintains operatory and instruments according to department policy and procedure.
* 5. Provides consultative services and in-service educational programs to the inpatient and out-patient departments of the Hospital regarding preventive oral health care for medically compromised and patients with special needs patients at YNHH.
* 6. Designs and develops oral health educational programs
* 7. Participates in the Quality Improvement initiatives in the Department of Dentistry and the institutional programs mandated by the hospital, JCAHO, CMS and PHS.
* 8. Maintains a collaborative work relationship with peers and colleagues, creating a positive work environment. Communicates in a calm, professional manner with peers and works towards resolution of issues and concerns. Attends all mandatory continuing education classes.
* 9. Provides supervision for pre-and/or post-licensure dental hygiene students from the University of New Haven and the University of Bridgeport in accordance with Hospital and University policies. Establishes an optimum learning environment for the student.
* 10. Participates in Community Health Fairs and Events so as to act a a liason between the community and the department/hospital.
Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university in Dental Hygiene; Connecticut State License required.
A minimum of 1 - 3 years experience in a multi-faceted clinical or general practice position or related experience in the Dental Hygiene field. Experience with children essential. Previous hospital/academic or public health experience preferred.
Dental Hygienist Licensure in the State of Connecticut/Radiology Certified/Basic Life Support Certification
Must demonstrate excellent skills in communication, interpersonal relationships, organization and attention to detail, takes initiative, is open-minded, develops, engages in and presents educational programs to patients, staff and community. Has the ability to work collaboratively with all disciplines within the dental and hospital departments.
Must be able to sit for an extended period of time and have excellent hand dexterity.