Posted in Other 29 days ago.
This job brought to you by America's Job Exchange
Type: Part Time
Location: New Haven, Connecticut
To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values - integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion - must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The nurse midwife is an integral part of the women's health clinical team and provides leadership in health care on behalf of the woman and families in both the inpatient and outpatient settings in the Center for Women 's Health and Midwifery, Women's Center at YNHH, Yale Midwifery Practice, and labor and birth at the Vidone Birth Center at YNHH-St. Raphael's campus. The CNM provides full scope midwifery services to women in the nurse midwifery model of care. The CNM evaluates, treats, and manages the care of the patients. The CNM also provides care to gyn patients including gynecological and breast health, medical management of acute /chronic issues, education and provision of psychosocial support. Antenatal care is provided in the traditional model of care, as well as in group sessions. As the attending CNM on the labor and birth unit, the CNM also evaluates patients and manages labors and birth in the physiological birth model of care in collaboration with the supportive obstetrical laborist. The education of nurse midwifery students and residents is an integral part of the role of the CNM in all clinical settings . Community activities are required in addition to collaborating with advocacy groups and local agencies
* 1. The CNM provides full scope midwifery care as outlined in the Core Competencies for Basic Midwifery practice developed by the American College of Nurse -Midwives in outpatient and inpatient settings
* 1.1 Independently manages primary health screening and health promotion of women from perimenarche through menopause in the outpatient setting
* 2. Prepares appropriate patient records as mandated by JCAHO. Prepares medical record prior to patient discharge which contains appropriate history and physical functions relative to complaint as determined by periodic chart review.
* 2.1 Prepares medical record which contains results of tests when available as determined by periodic chart review.
* 3. Participates in active continuous medical education.
* 3.1 Acquires at least 50 hours of CME per year.
* 4. Participates in hospital medical education program.
* 4.1 Effectively teaches by discussion and example nurse -midwifery students, medical students, physician assistants, and resident physicians assigned to OB/GYN department for educational purposes.
* 5. Evaluates patients and conducts normal labors which support the physiologic birth philosophy in Labor and Delivery in collaboration with the attending physician
* 5.1 Takes appropriate history and performs physical exam relevant to patient complaint in L & D as per chart review
* 6. Writes admission, intrapartum and discharge orders (including IV, meds., labs, and nursing orders) on all assigned patients.
* 6.1 Writes appropriate orders in a timely fashion as determined by nursing feedback and random review of charts.
* 7. Research:
* 7.1 Conducts and participates in research, and scholarly activities designed to improve the health care of women and infants
* 8. Professional Development:
* 8.1 Participates in at least one (1) professional organization.
* 9. Independently manages primary health screening and health promotion of women from perimenarche through menopause in the outpatient setting
* 10. Independently manages infections, self-limited conditions, and mild and/or stable presentations of chronic conditions, utilizing consultation, collaboration, and/or referral to appropriate levels of health care services as indicated.
Registered nurse licensure; Certified Nurse Midwife license; requires both undergraduate and master's degree.
Three (3) to five (5) years midwifery experience in culturally diverse setting.
State of CT Registered nurse license; State of CT Licensed Nurse Midwife license; Certification as a Certified Nurse Midwife through the American Midwifery Certification Board
Excellent interpersonal and communication skills. Knowledge of research methods, computer skills required.
Possesses physical and mental heath necessary to care for patients and families. Possesses a full range of body motion, including lifting and handling of adult patients.
Successful completion for EFM certification within 18 months of hire. Must have previous experience covering a busy L&B unit.