Posted in Other 30+ days ago.
Type: Full Time
# of Openings
Job Families (Portal Searching)
Position Summary: The REACH Flight Nurse Rescuer position is an advanced, multifunctional role providing safe, efficient customer oriented, high-quality patient care in a public search and rescue professional model.
The Flight Nurse Rescuer exercises a high level of independent judgment, critical thinking and advanced problem solving. Excellence in this role is exemplified in the management of both strategic and tactical clinical objectives specific to the duties, tasks and responsibilities of the REACH Air Medical Services Public Utility Operations Division, which includes, but is not limited to: medical care and air transport of critically ill or injured patients, aerial firefighting, search and rescue services, and rescue hoist operations.
Nurses in this role will participate in public service education as well as Flight Team training and safety programs throughout the REACH Air Medical Services response area. The Flight Nurse Rescuer conducts training for new and existing Medical Crew members. In every situation, the REACH Flight Nurse Rescuer does what is right for the patient based on a thorough medical assessment, appropriate clinical care, implementation of Company protocols/SOPs, and professional, inter-agency collaboration and cooperation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
* Delivers safe and efficient, customer oriented, high-quality nursing care to each patient throughout the transport process.
* Utilizes REACH Clinical Protocols to provide high quality patient care.
* Performs nursing expanded scope practice policies and procedures to deliver high quality patient care in the transport environment.
* Demonstrates cognitive and motor skills necessary to perform nurse scope practice policies and procedures.
* Monitors, records, and reports to receiving staff, patient condition and response to interventions.
* Properly utilizes aircraft radios and navigation tools to assist in the safe and efficient transport of the patient as well as search and rescue assignments.
* Represents REACH in public relations and safety in-services to improve awareness and safety.
* Responds to a variety of emergency calls to provide medical care/oversight as well as other mission-critical functions including hoist rescue operations.
* Other duties and responsibilities may be added, deleted, or changed at any time at the discretion of management, either orally or in writing.
Job Requirements and Qualifications:
* Graduate of an accredited school of nursing.
* Current unrestricted RN license in State of practice.
* Minimum of three (3) years of emergency/critical care experience ( 1 year of adult ICU referred).
* PICU, NICU and CCT experience desirable.
* Current Certifications (Pre-Hire)
o Current AHA or ASHI Basic Life Support (BLS)
o Current AHA or ASHI Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
o Current AHA or ASHI Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) or
ACEP Advanced Pediatric Life Support (APLS) or
ENPC Emergency Nursing Pediatric Course
o AAP Neonatal Resuscitation Program (NRP) * Approved Trauma Certification within six (6) months of hire per Company policy
* National certification desirable upon application but required within one (1) year of hire per Company policy
Experience in the following is preferred, but not required;
* Meeting emergencies, rapid problem-solving, and sound decision-making in the field with changing conditions.
* Building consensus and teamwork under stressful conditions.
* Planning and organizing work assignments.
* Low to high angle and swift water rescue techniques.
* Helicopter hoist rescue techniques.
* Excellent customer service skills.
* Ability to communicate professionally, effectively and persuasively (oral and written).
* Ability to maintain composure under pressure, work efficiently and accurately with frequent
* interruptions, and set and reset multiple priorities.
* Presents a professional image as a REACH Flight Team member.
* Maintains a positive team attitude and cohesive working relationship with nurses, paramedics, pilots, aircraft maintenance technicians, communication specialists and all other supporting departments.
* Maintains proficiency and exercises best practices regarding relevant aviation SOPs, protocols and policies.
* Stays current on local EMS Agency and/or county protocols and requirements.
* Maintains proficiency and evaluates risk/benefit of helicopter and ground rescue operations.
* Directs, educates and coordinates colleagues on medical calls and trauma scenes to achieve maximum effectiveness.
* Works collaboratively with other public service/public safety entities in a variety of inter-agency operations.
* Maintains currency in all required trainings and certifications.
NOTE: Please refer to SOP s for part-time Job Requirements.
Physical Requirements (Standard)
* Performs activities requiring a moderate amount of standing, sitting, and walking.
* Able to conduct activities requiring a moderate to rigorous amount of static pushing, pulling, reaching and lifting (knuckle height and ankle height).
* Capable of lifting 75lbs. floor to bench height.
* Capable of safe and expedient ingress/egress to and from aircraft or emergency vehicles in undeveloped landing zones or unrefined, uneven ground.
* Ability to hear routine aircraft and medical equipment noises.
* Maintains a duty weight (body weight + uniform/equipment helmet not included) of less than 220lbs (weigh-ins every quarter) for Rotor Wing (Helicopter) operations.
* Must be able to wear a commercially available respirator mask with proper fit, when required.
* Requires close and distant visual capability.
* Periodic hands to key ability (typing).
* Ability to work within a 24-hour job environment.
Physical Requirements (Enhanced)
The REACH Flight Nurse Rescuer is a multi-faceted, high performance role with enhanced physical demands, and increased levels of mental focus and elevated risk tolerance. As such, the following position-specific requirements are strictly enforced with mandatory pre-employment testing. Failure to meet any single item in this category results in disqualification from REACH s Air Medical Services Public Utility Operations candidacy. The Flight Nurse Rescuer must meet all Standard Physical Requirements listed above as well as demonstrate ability to accomplish the following activities initially and annually:
* Unaided 300-meter swim within 8 minutes, immediately followed by;
o 1.5 mile run within 13 minutes - OR -
o 3-mile hike within 45 minutes wearing a 45 lb. pack.
* Basic lifting of a gurney (with a partner) weighted to at least 180 lbs.
* The REACH Flight Nurse Rescuer must pass an annual Fitness for Duty assessment involving the swim/run parameters listed above. The Flight Nurse Rescuer will also be required to pass this same assessment if returning from a leave of absence lasting longer than two weeks (at the discretion of the Director in charge of the REACH Public Utility Operations Division).
Value Based Competencies:
Customer / Patient Focused:
* Anticipates and strives to understand the unique needs of each patient and/or customer.
* Tailors each interaction to the specific needs of the person and/or situation.
REACH is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer. All qualified candidates will receive consideration for the position applied for without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or other non-merit factors. We welcome and encourage applications from minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities (including disabled veterans).